Chapter 16: Something New

*JJ's POV*

Walking out of that office, I felt so many emotions. Sadness, love, and guilt. I never knew that someone could go through so much pain, especially like that. Losing family is a whole tragedy but having to kill them for the sake of protecting the world is another one.

Emily and I were holding hands as we were walking down the corridor. I turned to look at her but I can't see any emotions written on her face. Sometimes I would be able to read her better but when she puts her walls up, I know she's thinking about something that isn't good.

I squeeze her hand to let her know I'm here for her. She looks startled a bit but looks at me with appreciation and something else that I can't place. I rub my thumb over the back of her hand and knuckles. We stopped walking and leaned on a nearby wall, standing shoulder to shoulder.

"It's gonna be okay," I whispered softly in her ear. "I hope so," she says as she gives me this puppy dog look. She leans her head on my shoulder. We wait about 15 minutes before Wynonna and Waverly come walking down the hallway. Waverly has her hand wrapped around her sister's waist.

"We discussed that we could give you guys the spare rooms on the homestead," Waverly said sounding tired. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yeah, we think you guys would be safer staying with us for the time being, and I know y'all could kick ass with your jobs and whatnot, we'd still feel better if we knew where you were," said an also tired Wynonna.

"Okay," Emily responds. "Carrot top and shorty, y'all are riding with me in the truck. Agent 007's ride with Haught-Shot and Babygirl in the cop car," says Wynonna as she points to each of us. Waverly shoots a thumbs up to her sister. Emily and I follow Waverly and Nicole out of what I realize is a police station.

*Cut to being inside the Homestead*

"You guys can have the bedroom upstairs next to my room," Waverly says as she points to Emily and me. "You guys can have the one down here," she adds as she points to Vanessa and Madelaine. "Sound good? Cool beans," Waverly says as we all agree. "Come on, I'll show you your guys room." Waverly leads us upstairs to an empty medium-sized room with light blue curtains and a queen-size bed.

"Are you guys comfortable sharing a bed?" Waverly asks us kindly. She's really nice. I don't know how she does it. "Yes, we've shared a bed before in cases, thank you," responds Emily. She sounds extremely tired and worn out. She leaves and comes back with Wynonna and two pairs of clothes.

"I figured you guys could use some clothes so I grabbed two oversized shirts, sweatpants, and sleep shorts," Wynonna offers us. "Thank you," I say back kind but tiredly. "Do you guys mind if we crash? Getting dropped somewhere else is rather kind of tiring," I say. "No worries, go ahead," pushes a smiling Waverly. Wynonna and Waverly leave the room.

I pull Emily into a long hug. She puts her arms around my waist as she buries her head in my neck. I'm sorry. I know how much she's hurting. "I know," I whisper softly over and over. She pulls away to ask, "Can we just, go to bed?" I nod my head at her. We both grab an oversized t-shirt, I wait for her to pick the sweatpants or shorts. I'm fine with anything really. She picks the sweatpants. I pick up the shorts.

She goes to the bathroom to get changed. I change into the shirt and shorts, putting my other clothes on a chair in the room. A couple minutes later, Em comes back with her nightclothes on. I grab her other clothes and put them on the same chair. I grab her hand and drag her with me to the side of the bed.

We always have an unspoken conversation or agreement between us. At one point we both talked about it before, we like each other but you know how work is with fraternization issues.

I hold her hands and put my forehead against hers. She pulls one of her hands away and puts it on my cheek. I lean into her hand and kiss the inside of her palm.

She may not know it but she's the love of my life.

She brings my face close to hers, closes her eyes, and kisses me softly and gently. She lets go of my other hand to put it around my waist and I put my hand on the back of her neck. She pulls me closer by my hips, touching hers. She pulls back, smiles, and then leans back down and captures my lips in another deep but filled with love kiss.

I could just kiss her forever. I really can't get enough.

I bring both of my hands to slip underneath her shirt and lightly drag my nails up and down her stomach. Emily groans at that, caressing my back and sides. I push myself closer to her, needing to feel her body against mine.

Breaking the kiss, I push her against the edge of the bed and she falls back, I don't give her time to situate herself as I climb on top of her. She places her hands underneath my sleep shirt, caressing my back. I lean over her and put a hand above her head, sliding my other hand up her stomach. I drop my head and attach my lips neck fining her pulse point.

I make sure to leave a deep-colored hickey there but it doesn't stop me from making more. "JJ...," Emily groans my name. "Yeah?" I hum, still scattering kisses and nips across her neck. "We should stop," She says. "I know," I say as I bring my head up. My hand is still caressing her stomach. I look deep into her eyes and I know she wants to and so do I, but she's right.

"I just want it to be special," Emily admits shyly. "Me too," I tell her as I look at her with love in my eyes. I give her one more soft lingering kiss and pull her up with me to the top of the bed. We get underneath the blankets, and I turn on my other side so she can be the big spoon. When she settles behind me, she presses some light feathered kisses on my neck and shoulder.

"Goodnight," she whispers as she wraps her arms around me and I hold onto her arms. "Goodnight," I whisper back.

Despite everything that's happened, I know she'll always be there for me. And I'll always be there for her.

A/N

Heyy you guys. I'm sorry that it's been a week but I had no motivation whatsoever to update until today. It's kind of a long chapter so I hope y'all like it. I hope that makes up for it. Tell me why ya think. Stay safe ! 🙂.

-Mari🌻