the tragedy of her soul

s
"thank you tomioka. for coming today even though you have a busy schedule with all your doctor stuff and all." kanae speaks softly as she sits down opposite giyuu.

"it's been 100 years mhm?" kanae smiles at him as his face brightens up.

"kanae-san! you remember? really? ...im surprised because shinobu-"

"huh?" kanae interrupts him as the waiter serves her iced coffee.

"...mhm..?" he mumbles, confused like her.

"how can i 'remember' if i never lost my memory at the first place?" kanae replied quietly, waiting for giyuu's reaction.

".......oh......oh....i see...." giyuu was deep in his thoughts. he never thought of it that way before.

"i...needed to talk to you about something." clearing her throat.

"...as much as i hate to say it, please, i beg you, let her go. please don't bring her back." kanae spoke desparately, pleading to him.

"....kanae-san..?" he was shocked at her reaction and confused.

he wasn't planning on bringing her back anymore since a long time ago, but he's curious about why kanae was so desparate to not bring her back.

" i'm sure you never notice but she's in pain. so please, stop." kanae held out her hand and clutches on to his tightly, pleading desparately.

" o-ok..i understand...but what do you mean she's in pain..?"

wiping her tears kanae replied softly.

"i suspect there's two souls living in shinobu's physical body."

what....?

"kanae-san, what are you saying? that makes no sense..?"

"i know! I KNOW! but you don't understand. sometimes she comes home, she'll have random heart attacks, and then she'll cling on to me a whole day and say things like ' i'm so glad you're alive!' "

"then afterwards, she would just pass out! it's like...she's possessed." kanae weeps silently as she explains.

"huh? so which shinobu am i talking to? i-i don't understand." giyuu asks as his mind tries to digest the sudden information he received.

"look, you know how ghost work? they possess people. but from how frequent her heart attacks are, it looks like they both live in the same body."

giyuu was silent. he never knew. he never knew that he has inflicted so much pain on shinobu. and moreover, he's now in a dilemma. if he would have to pick one day, who would he pick? the shinobu he's waited a 100 years for, or the shinobu now? he felt dizzy. it was so sudden. all this. was so sudden.

"w-what do you want me to do now?"

"let her go."

" i already did. kanae-san. i did. and i have made it clear to shinobu, the current shinobu, i won't try to bring her back anymore or treat her differently." giyuu reassured her.

"what more can i do? kanae-san, you tell me. what more can i do?" the roles were reversed as giyuu asks desparately.

"i-i...i don't know either! i just...don't want shinobu to get hurt again. both of them. ever since she met you, the heart attacks started. it's like...you awakened her soul. "