Chapter 9: Unexpected Liar

Shuichi's POV
As I was handing out invitations and explaining the party I walked into Kaede.

"Oh hi Kaede." I said.
"Hi Shuichi! What are you holding?" Kaede said as she pointed to the invitations.
"Ah. Kaito, Maki, Kokichi and me are hosting a party tonight."
"A p-party? For real?"
"Y-Yeah. It's just we discovered the mastermind and will uncover it on the party. It'll be easier if we are all gathered together."
"What of the mastermind attacks someone? Shouldn't we plan on... killing the mastermind as soon as possible?"

Kaede looked at me with a combination of shame and worry. It's hard looking at her like that. She is usually so happy and optimistic. I hugged her and she hugged me back.

"Don't worry, we have a plan." I said as we ended the hug.
"And may I know what that plan is?" Kaede asked.
"I-I don't know if the others-"
"The others who? Kokichi?"
"W-What do you mean?"

Kaede started to walk closer to me and her glare intensified.

"Did Kokichi tell you to keep it secret?"
"W-Why do you think Kokichi-"
"Cause you like him." Kaede said as she looked at me with an eyebrow raised.
"N-No! I don't!"
"You sure?"
"Y-Yes!"
"I don't think so~"
"I don't like Kokichi!"
"It doesn't seem like it!"
"I know because I l-like y-"

I paused for a moment. All this time I had thought I liked Kaede.. but saying it out loud made me realize I actually don't. And now I had said it in front of her.

"See? Told you." Kaede smiled kindly.
"W-What?"
"Kokichi taught me that to catch a liar you've got to corner them, so I did. And look at that! I was right!" She chuckled as I started to blush.

I didn't like Kaede, because I had fallen for Oma. Why? How? When?? I was panicking by now. Was it his soft purple hair or playful eyes? Or maybe his smile. That stupid smile.

I had always despited Kokichi for his lies, but without realizing I had caught myself in one. Will the plan still work if the fake relationship isn't that fake? It will, right?

Kaede hugged me and said:
"Hey. It's alright. If you like Kokichi then it must be because of something, so I'll do my best to support and help you! I will even try to get along with him!"
"T-Thanks Kaede. I really appreciate it."
"It's alright. That's what friends are for. Oh by the way, do you guys have music for the party?"
"N-Now that you mention it-"
"Then I'll play the piano. It can't be a party without music right?"

I smiled. Kaede and me went to her Ultimate Lab and I called the others to go there. As they arrived I saw Kokichi. He came up to me and hugged me.

"So what did you need us for, my beloved?"

I blushed at that nickname. 'Beloved'. Kokichi is making this 'fake' thing way harder than I thought. Specially now that I... I shook my head and stopped thinking about it.

"We are making a rehearsal." I said.
"Rehearsal?" Kokichi looked at Kaede and then at me. I nodded with my head and Kaede made a nervous wave.

"I thought yesterday was a rehearsal." Maki said.
"Haha yeah! You definitely gave it all last time Maki-Roll!" Kaito put his arm around Maki's shoulder and she froze then and there.
"Still, if my sidekick thinks we should practice more, then we should."
"Alright then."

We explained the plan to Kaede further and she showed us what she was going to play.

{A/N}
Word Count: 649
Yes Kaede is good on this story. I just love her and it saddens me when she is the bad character just because she is also shipped with Shuichi. 👀