Chapter 14: Motives

Shuichi's POV
It has been a few days since the execution.  Lately it's been easier for me to unravel Kokichi's lies. I don't know if he knows this. Or maybe he is just.. warming up to me?

Kokichi is definitely a mystery. I hope that I'll see the true him someday.

I walked into the cafeteria. As always, everyone had arrived before me. Kokichi was hanging around Gonta. I walked up to them.

"Oh! Hello there Shumai~ What's the matter?"
"I just wanted to-"
"I see! You wanted to check up on me? What a gentleman, Saihara-Chan!"
"Gonta greet Kokichi! Gonta gentleman too?"
"Yeah sure big guy."

Gonta smiled happily and walked over to greet Kiibo. After that he went over to Angie, and like that he greeted everyone. After that he stayed talking with Korekiyo. Gonta had this proud smile, like if greeting everyone was a feat now. It was pretty wholesome to look at.

My thoughts were interrupted by Monokuma appearing on the middle of the room. Everyone turned to look at him.

"Puhuhu! Your plan worked out, but I have brought a special surprise to spice things up!"

Then the monokubs appeared too. Monotaro and Monokid were holding what looked like a spinning wheel? They placed it in the wall and we all walked to get a better look.

The wheel had 8-bit looking versions of us on every space. On top of the wheel it said "victim". This word scared some of us.

"Every day, I'll give one of you a motive! The motives come in different shapes and ways, some are physically and some others are not!"
The bear exclaimed happily.
"For example, today's victim is...."

Monokuma rolled the wheel and we all stared at it not knowing if being the 'victim' was either good or bad. And then, the wheel picked...

"Puhuhu! The Ultimate Astronaut, Kaito Momota, is the first victim of v3's motive wheel!" Monokuma celebratred

Suddenly, a claw took grasp of Kaito and he was pulled upwards, like Kaede (in the past killing game) at the beginning of her execution. Maki reached out for Kaito and their hands almost touched each other. But Kaito had been pulled away and no one knew where.

Tears formed in the corners of my eyes as I wondered if he was going to be executed. I felt a light tug in my sleeve. I turned to see Kokichi. He acted like he didn't care, but I could see his lower lip trembling. I hugged him and closed my eyes.

I don't know what happened next, since I had my eyes shut, refusing to look at whatever was going on. After all, I could hear Kaito screaming. I opened my eyes a little, but just enough to see Maki and to hug her too. Now we were all 3 sobbing with Kaito's screams in the background.

And then, Monokuma made Kaito appear in front of us. He was unconsciously lying on the floor, apparently unharmed. Maki lifted him up without hesitation and took him to his room.

Some people went to check on him, while some others including me and Kokichi stayed in the cafeteria. I just felt overwhelmed. I was scared for Kaito. He was my best friend here, he is the one who keeps us from giving up.

And I don't know what Monokuma did to him.

Kokichi hugged me and I hugged him back. I rested my chin on his head, and I started to calm down.

Kaito was alive, at least.

I grabbed Kokichi's hand and we walked towards Kaito's room. I could feel his grab hardening as we got closer.

Kokichi was just as scared as me.

{A/N}(Old)
Word Count: 668
For now I'll leave this chapter here! But that's because you guys can pick who is the 'victim' and what the motive is! So feel free to write in the comments! You don't have to if you don't want though, I'll figure something out 🖤