just keep swimming

"Do you swear on your life that if ANYTHING happens, you will call me? Wether hell or high water. If you even have a little cough, text immediately and ill be there, okay?" My dads eyes were filled with worry and panic.

I smiled in order to ease his fear. "Pops, its high school. I think ill be okay. Besides, its not gonna be like all those teen dramas you were binge watching all week. " I chuckled to hide the fact that i was actually terrified. It was my first day of actual high school, up until now i was home schooled. Today will be the day i interact with people the same age as me. That hasn't happened for a long while.  

"I know its not like them, but with everything that has happened these past few years, im just a little worried. But if you feel that your ready, then so am i." he said with a smile.

"I am. I am ready." my voice came out shaky. I took a deep breath and stared out the window. I could see all the kids with there fresh new clothes, big smiles, and no sense of fear. I pushed out a breath, i didn't realize i was holding in. I squeezed my sweaty hands together, to attempt to stop myself from shaking.

My dad suddenly grabs my hands and turns me towards him. He puts my hands to his lips and looks me in the eyes. "You got this, Nemo. No need to be nervous. Okay? Its gonna be like learning how to swim, first you'll fear it, but then once you get used to the water you'll love it. It'll be like floating on a cloud. You just have to keep swimming." I nodded my head and smirked at him. I appreciated the nemo reference.

I took one last look at my dad and then turned toward  the school. "Here we go." I finally walked out of the car and the September breeze hit me like a bus. Holy turds it was cold as balls out here. "Nemo!" I cringed at him calling me my childhood nickname out loud. When I was a kid I was obsessed with finding Nemo, to the point that I literally forced my dad to call me that til I was 5. I turned to look at my dad holding up my bag and jacket out the window. "Oops, thanks pops." i grab the them both and throw them on, "Remember, just keep swimming!" he yelled as i began to approach the school. I couldn't help but to smile as i walked my way through those doors.

The temperature was much warmer than it was outside. However the air smelled like old gym socks, or spoiled milk. The colors blue, white, and red were literally everywhere, im guessing thats the school colors. The mascot must be just as basic. I swear in every movie i watched or any school i did visit blue, white, and red would always be the school colors.

"You lost?" someone said. I looked behind me and saw some one who looked like a girl, but i wasn't completely sure. I want to ask but i dont want the first thing i say to some one being me questioning there gender.  They had lovely brown skin and with long brown hair. They had such pretty dark brown eyes, and they were a bit taller than I was. However, bad bitch energy that was radiating off of this person was abundant. "Your definitely new. I can smell it on you. You haven't been tainted by the bullshittery, that is this school. " I could here a hint of a Spanish accent in there voice.

"Am i that obvious?" I smiled.

"Well yeah, you were kind of the only one standing still in front of the entrance way. It was cute, in lost puppy type of way." They said smiling in front of me. They reached there hand out to me. "My name is Rebecca. You can call me Becks. I am a trans woman. My pronouns are her and she. I could tell you were curious, everyone usually is."

"The names Meloni. I apologize if i was staring, i know how uncomfortable that can be, but can I say that you are very beautiful. " i said.

A bigger smile spread across her face, "Yeah, your definitely not from around here, mi amor. Your too polite."

"Just cause im polite, dont mean i dont bite. Im a black woman in america, i better have some fight back." Damn straight, daddy aint raise no punk.

A smile spread across her face immediately." Fiesty. I think I like you already. Walk with me." She grabs by my arm and begins to walk down the halls slowly. To where? I have no clue. "So what brings you into this shitty town, Loni?" I kept looking forward, trying my best to hide the fact that I'm still nervous. "Me and my dad, just needed a change of scenery."
The disgust on her face made me laugh, "Mi amor, why didn't you choose a better place? Well, I guess I'll be the first to welcome you to this hell whole. Welcome to Honeydale. The shit whole right outside the city. We are giving complete country hick meet hipster teen vibes."