Beastars

Beastars, a clever title of an anime which employed an even cleverer method to show us a mirror. This anime is a Netflix original series based on the manga by Paru Itagaki.It has gained popularity and is appreciated for  its uniqueness in terms of the art and the plot. This anime uses animals to categorize characters into certain types by personifying them while also showing how these stereotypes are seldom,if ever,accurate. The story follows Legoshi, a large Grey wolf who is shy and timid but because of his appearance is perceived by many who don't know him as scary and mean.We get to experience this with Legoshi as he fights who he really is and who people think he is and how perceptions of others about him affects how he perceives himself. The female protagonist , Haru a Dwarf rabbit is often bullied by other girls because of the male attention she receives because of her alluring appearance. She acts confident and brushes it off but exquisite writing shows us otherwise. Haru lies to herself about how being bullied affects her because she does not identify with being a victim. Though this anime is about animals, it gives us a deeper look into how our psyche and thoughts are affected by stereotypes and outward appearance while being entertaining all the while. We get to see different animals interacting as 'equals', atleast thats what the law of the land seems to be in the anime .We form our assumptions about how the interaction will be and are proven wrong many times if not every time. If you are looking for an anime which will satisfy your craving for both entertainment and for something to ponder upon for hours, Beastars is certainly one which will not disappoint. It will keep you at he edge of your seat and make you care about the characters in a way short anime seldom can. What I personally loved about this anime is that it can be interpreted in many ways and it can be applied to the current senarios of the world, whether it be terrorism or BLM, or just everyday social interactions. You can see what you want to in it and then have your perceptions shattered.