Japan sinks 2020

Japan sinks 2020 is a Netflix original series which came out recently. It is based on a book with the same name. Like the title says,it is about a whole country literally sinking.This anime has a lot going on, A LOT. One would expect it would be like the movie '2012' which it kind of is ,but it has so much more going on. There is a lot to unpack about this show. I suggest you don't read this 'review',if it can be called that if you haven't watched the show.

Japan 2020 starts with a series of earthquakes which destroy Japan and begin its sinking process. It follows the Mutou family's and their neighbour's attempt at surviving this catastrophe. In my opinion, the plot of the show is a little out there and sometimes dosen't make sense. This show goes from a natural disaster survival show to a show about a cult to life of Pi to some sort of sci-fi movie real quick. And that is fine if it's engaging enough to distract us from the fact that this is happening and has more episodes,but personally for me it wasn't. I tend to gravitate towards shorter anime but i do feel this is one anime that needed more episodes.What I do appreciate about the show however is how it shows the spirit of survival in humans, their kindness even at the worst time and a feeling of patriotism in an understandable way. At every point in the show, we see people who are doing bad but also, people who are doing good, people who are sacrificing other to save their own lives but also people who are sacrificing themselves to save others lives. Another thing it shows is how quickly people 'adjust' to adverse situations. We witness countless unfortunate events and deaths in this show but we also see our main characters bounce back and try their best to survive which is inspiring.The show ends with a long explanation and montage about Japan and what Japan is. This was my favorite part. It shows us that a country is not land, but people and a feeling of community. A country is a sense of belonging , it is history and food and traditions, and as long as there are memories of this, it is a country.