Chapter 5

Peace and quiet at last.

Jisung was lying on the floors of one of the dance studios, with the lights off, eyes closed. His hip hop class was long over, but he had stayed back to dance a bit in the studio, a usual occurrence.

Jisung's eyes fluttered open as the door opened, the lights flicking on. He sat up to meet a familiar girl.

"Bomi, I don't want to." Jisung said, leaning back on his arms. Bomi narrowed her eyes.

"I haven't even asked you yet." Bomi told him. Jisung gave her a look.

"You ask the same thing every time you bother me and this time is no different. Whatever dance performance you want me to be part of, the answer is still no." Jisung said bluntly. Bomi crossed her arms.

"It'll look good on your portfolio." Jisung tried not to roll his eyes.

"I'm a sophomore, I don't need a portfolio, you do." Jisung said, lying down again, resting his head on his hands.

"Well don't come to me when you need help with yours later on." Jisung could tell he had made her mad.

"Don't worry I won't. Now can you turn the lights off?" Jisung said, closing his eyes.

Instead, he was met with the sound of the door slamming shut as Bomi left the studio.

Well, it was worth a try, Jisung thought as he got up to turn the lights off himself.

...

Somehow, Dahye had gotten through the first week of school and was beginning the second. She was currently in the middle of her first class of the day, a contemporary class with Ms. Kim.

"Dahye, can you do that last move again?" Ms. Kim asked.

"Um, alright." Dahye replied as the other students stepped back, giving her space. She did the last four counts again.

"Class, you see how smooth Dahye makes it. I want all of you to do it with that type of energy." Ms. Kim said before turning to her. "Dahye, can you elongate your arms a bit more, all the way to your fingertips?"

"Like this?" Dahye said, doing it again. Ms. Kim nodded her head.

"Yes, much better. Now let's all run the combination once from the top and call it a day." Ms. Kim said.

The class danced the contemporary combination Ms. Kim had taught them one more time before she dismissed them.

"Hyunjae, Dahye, can the two of you stay back for a bit?" Ms. Kim asked. The two of them exchanged looks before nodding their heads.

"I hope we're not in trouble." Hyunjae whispered.

Once the class filed out, Ms. Kim began to talk. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble, quite the opposite actually." They both let out a sigh of relief, making Ms. Kim chuckle.

"Around this time every year, I start working on my piece for the open house. I choose two of the best students from each year for this piece and I wanted you two the represent the freshmen class. It would require extra rehearsals though and won't count towards your grades. Are you two interested?" Ms. Kim asked.

"Of course!" Hyunjae responded immediately. Ms. Kim looked towards Dahye.

"Sure." Dahye said, nodding her head. Ms. Kim clapped her hands together.

"Great, I'll be posting the rehearsal schedule later today. Make sure you check it!" Ms. Kim said, before letting the two of them head to class. She poked her head out of the studio.