1

My peaceful sleep was disturbed when I felt something wet on my face, followed by huffing. "Go away, Whisky." I groan in annoyance, but he continued to lick my face, having no other option I open my eyes with great difficulty and was greeted by my Buddha, who's shadow was looming over the white walls of my bedroom.

The morning sun was way too bright, for my non morning self, so I close my eyes to adjust to the bright lights. Just then my alarm starts ringing.

Trying to reach the phone with my eyes closed, I failed to notice that I was sleeping at the very end of my bed, and I was warmly greeted by my cold floor. "Fuck" I let out a curse.

What a great way to start my day, I thought to myself. Letting out a sigh, I turn off the alarm that was still ringing.

Getting dressed in a pair of tattered Jean and a white crop top, I scurried out of my apartment after kissing my whiskey baby, well technically it's Gia's.

I jog towards the bus stop, where my bus was already waiting. Just as I was about to step inside, a high pitched voice hit my ear, it was more like a baby's cry.

I stood rooted to my ground, and the bus starts to move without me. I know, I'm getting late for my classes, but something inside me was yelling to follow the sound, I slowly followed the sound, and it led me towards a small bridge.

'God, let it not be what I think.'

And, I was right. An infant was laying on the ground, abandoned in the middle of a half-destroyed bridge, which was filled with dirty rainwater.

My heart starts beating erratically, as I approach the baby. Carefully picking her up, I used a part of my cardigan to wipe off all the dirt, and removed all the ants that were biting her, and draped her in the same cloth, as I didn't have any other with me.

Hailing a taxi, I rush her to the nearby hospital to get her treated while cooing her all the way.

Handing the baby to the doctor, I walk back and forth, fidgeting my fingers.

I used my credit card to buy a few medicines that the doctor prescribed and made my way towards the floor where they've kept her.

A cop was enquiring a nearby nurse, I'm guessing it's about her.

Handing the medicine over, I quickly enquire about her. "How is she doctor, will she be fine?"

"I ran a few tests since she was born premature, there are a lot of chances that she might be diagnosed with Necrotizing enterocolitis. In short, it is an infection that affects the intestine of premature infants."

I flumped back on a nearby chair, covering my face with my palms. How can someone be so cruel, and cold-hearted? how can they abandon their own child?

'It's their own flesh and blood for god's sake!'

I was so lost in my realm of thoughts, that I failed to notice a six-foot giant, who was patient enough to provide me with enough time to compose myself. Wiping my tears away, I greet him.

"Good morning sir, my name is Ashley Brielle Ashton."

He extends his hand towards me and introduces himself. "I am Darren Clark, it's a pleasure meeting you, Miss. Ashton. I really appreciate your effort, it saved a life." He says, with a warm smile.

I just nod my head in reply, as I was not really in the mood to give him a genuine smile.

"Now, care to explain everything in detail so that we can find who the parents are and return their baby to them, because there is a possibility that she might have been abducted from her parents, or they might have abandoned her willingly."

I nod in agreement, though I felt a pang at the thought of returning her to her parents in case if she was abducted, It's hardly been few hours, and I'm becoming protective of her like a mother. I shook my head and narrate everything to him. I humbly requested him, if I could take her with me after her discharge.

He was hesitant at first because he thought that, I'm just an immature college girl, but when I informed him about our organization, he agreed immediately.

After I convinced him, I called Mrs. Wallace the owner of the NGO. She picked up the call after a few rings. "Hello, good morning, Gia" I greet her.

"Good Morning Bri, why haven't you visited us yet, it's already been three days since your last visit." She replied, pretending to be angry.

A smile crept on my face, thinking about how much she cares about me. "I am so sorry Gia, but in my defense, I was a bit busy preparing for my upcoming exam, and my job didn't help me either. I promise I'll visit you and the kids today. And one more thing."

"What is it bri, you alright?" She asks me with her voice laced with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that I found a baby, who was abandoned in the middle of nowhere. So, can I bring her to our NGO."

"Ohh, that's great! we would welcome her with an open arm, and I'm proud of you dear. And you need not have to ask me, you are a part of this NGO. You can take decisions on your own." She replied.

I exhaled in relief "Thank you Gia, I love you and can you pick, Whisky from my apartment. He woke me up and went to take his nap."

"Yeah, sure. But, where are you?" She questions me.

"I am at the hospital, I brought her for a check-up and she has some serious medical condition. Let's hope she'll recover fast." I say with a heavy heart.

"Use the card I gave you to pay the bill, and I'll talk to George about the legal proceedings. Take care dear, see tonight and I'm making your favorite food. If you don't show up, it's your loss" She laughs viciously.

"Ohh, how on earth can I miss your delicious Lasagna. I'll see you tonight, bye Gia."

I walk towards her door, her tiny little body was pierced with numerous tubes and bands on her tiny hand. It broke my heart to see her in this condition.

'I promise to you baby girl, I will not let you go through what I faced.'