Chapter 21

Catra's POV

"I am" A familiar voice called out.

I quickly whipped my head around to see an unexpected figure standing in the doorway that led out to the hallway of the hospital.

"Mrs. Grant?!" Adora and I said in unison.

I quickly averted my eyes to look at Adora who seemed to have the same expression as me. Our eyes met and I gave a confused look that tried to say, 'what is she doing here?'. All Adora gave was a small shrug and looked back at Mrs. Grant.

Mrs. Grant nodded and placed her handbag on a nearby table and grabbed a chair sitting down, facing towards the doctor.

"And...you are?" The doctor asked placing his clipboard under his arm and crossing his leg.

"I am the guardian of Adora" Mrs. Grant replied nonchalantly.

"Oh! Good, Adora and I were just talking about you. Once Adora is ready to be out of the hospital, which should be within a few days. I need you to sign some paperwork and the medical bills will be accompanied" The doctor explained with gesturing hands.

Mrs. Grant nodded understanding than looking over at Adora's injury, "How is the arm? Is she gonna be okay?"

He began to explain pretty much what he told Catra and I, about how I may not be able to use my shoulder and all I need to do is rest it, and that gives it a higher chance of it getting better.

While they were talking I moved my rolly chair over closer to Adora. She seemed to look deep in thought, more concentrated on something important.

"You okay?" I asked brushing a small strand of her hair that was escaping her ponytail.

She turned her head slightly and the corner of her lip tugged up slightly, "Don't worry, nothing is wrong. I just...I don't know why Mrs. Grant is here. And, the only reason I could think of why she is here, it has to be because of that fight club".

I pondered for a moment, Adora was right. Why would Mrs. Grant show up and pay for Adora's medical bills? She is our teacher, not our parent. The only person that was considered our parent or guardian was...Shadow Weaver. But, the last time Adora or I saw her was a long time ago, and chances of her showing up for Adora is slim.

"Adora?" I whispered close to her ear.

I didn't miss the shudder than rippled through her body, but she quickly straightened up and mimicked whispering into my ear.

"What?" She asked.

"Do you think...maybe Mrs. Grant is sha-" I began to whisper.

"Adora, Catra!" Mrs. Grant said.

We both jumped away and quickly stared at Mrs. Grant with her hands on her hips.

"Yes, Mrs. Grant?" Adora replied, drumming her fingers nervously against the armrest on her bed.

I saw her look over at the Doctor and gave a small nod telling him that it was okay to leave now, he gave a smile to her and looked over at us and gave a small wave. We waved back and watched him walk out and close the door quietly.

Mrs. Grant then moved her chair so that it was closer, "Are you okay?"

Adora only gave a small nod shuffling nervously, I watched her with soft eyes.

"Sorry, I know this is awkward. Seeing your teacher outside of school, and them paying your medical bills out of nowhere" She chuckled lightly.

Adora gave a small smile in return but continued to not say anything.