Chapter 40

Adora's POV

BEFORE YOU READ THIS CHAPTER, I RECOMMEND YOU LOOK BACK ON CHAPTER 32 TO GET A UNDERSTANDING OF THE INFORMATION!

My body froze as my eyes laid upon the scattered papers throughout the small proximity of the room that Catra and I were in. The first thing that I saw was Catra huffing and puffing on her knees in an attempt to collect them.

I dropped to my knees and grabbed them, but of course, it was snatched out of my hand before I was even able to take a glance at it.

"What..are these?" My voice cracked.

Catra's eye twitched as she looked at me with..guilt? Was it guilt? No, it seemed like it was anger but there's something in there I can't quite make out.

"I told you. Don't touch things that are yours" She scolded with a sharp tone in her voice.

I raised to my feet and I looked down at Catra shamefully, "You have 3 seconds to show me what the fuck you are hiding from me"

"What are you? My, mom?" Catra laughed dryly, trying to crack a joke.

I huffed and tried to grab the papers, "You think this is a joke?!"

"Of course not!" She rambled, continuing to hold the papers back up to her chest. The papers that were scattered in front of me were now safely enclosed in Catra's arms.

What the hell was she hiding from me?

Remembering the previous conversation about how the way Catra's movements, and the way her pupils dilated or how her breathing stopped a bit when I mentioned if the papers were about...Shadow Weaver.

I dropped my hands at my side, the air feeling thin as I sniffled.

"If it's about Shadow Weaver, then just cough it up and show me" I pleaded, definitely forcing a cough to hide any more cracks that formed into my sentences.

I noticed her same stifled behaviors as earlier, and at this point. We were playing connect the dots, I took this stillness in Catra as a chance to snatch the papers.

And finally, after what felt like ages I got the papers within my grasp. I looked at Catra who had the most distraught look of fear in her eyes..and face. My fingertips were numb..probably from the freezing air around us.

Those freezing fingertips slid under the vanilla folder to reveal what Catra had been hiding from me, but sudden sobs made me look up it. My heart wrenched and made me want to throw it out the window when my tired eyes watched a waterfall of despairing tears fall down her face. Sobs..sobs that I've almost never heard before. I instantly dropped the folder, forgetting the contents inside it that I was yearning to look at.

"Catra...Catra, calm down" My voice trying to break the void of gloominess with a more comforting tone.

Her body was wrapped in a small ball, her arms around her legs. Her hands were clasped together, her fingers turning white from how hard she'd been squeezing them. They were just as cold as mine were when I touched them.

It almost felt like an eternity when I heard small mumbles of repeating sentences. I couldn't make out what she was saying,

When I finally heard something, it really did break me.

"Please don't hate me"

"Please..don't hate me"

"Please don't hate me"

The chants came out strong and melancholy but slowly turned into soft sorrowful whispers that made my heart pound no matter what volume of the pleads. I softly took her hands in mine, trying to warm them up.