Chapter 12

David

The past few days have really tough on Molly. I think everything has become overwhelming for her and now she has to lose her sister too? I feel horrible but her sister really doesn't want to be a part of us. There's really nothing else that she can do or could've done for her.

It seems as though she's been on auto pilot since that day with Tom... just thinking about that day makes my blood boil.

'He touched my partner? How dare he even thinks about my partner? How dare he try to rape her? She was almost killed! And if we didn't get to her when we did... this would be a whole different situation...'

It's just after lunch and Molly's washing the laundry. I'm standing in the doorway watching her as she's washing. She's quiet, very quiet. "Hey..." I say slowly.

She lifts her head and looks at me. "Hey..." she says back softly.

"Are you okay?" I ask gently. She nods her head. "Well... I think we may be able to go to town today." She looks up at me with some brightness in her eyes.

"R-really?" She asks so softly I almost don't hear her.

"Yes... we can go and get you a few pieces of clothing..." I pause before I ask the question I've been forced to ask. "Molly?" She hums her response. "I'm sorry but I have to ask..." she widens her eyes and I think she knows what I'm about to ask. "H-have you... you know... started... your.. you know what?" I blush from just asking the question.

She puts her head down and mumbles "no." My hopes rise and I try not to sound giddy. "I was supposed to... 2 or 3 days ago..." she explains softly.

"Okay... while we're in town we'll grab a few pregnancy tests..." she keeps her head down. "I'm sorry I had to ask... finish up then we can go okay?" She nods and carries on.

I head to outside to the crops where father is working. I find him watering the row of corn. I clear my throat and he turns to me. "Father... may me and Molly head into town please?" He raises his eyebrow and I explain. "We.... well... she is... ahhh... late?" Instead of stating it. It comes out more like a question.

He looks at me and I shiver from the intensity of his stare... it's a few moments before his face breaks out into a smile. "That's great news son. Sure, take her to a few stores but close her face, so nobody recognizes her..." I nod my head. "It's great to hear that my second grandson is already on his way..."

He lets out a laugh and all I manage is a nervous chuckle. 'What if it's a girl?' I ask myself internally. I don't dare voice that question. I quickly walk back to the house, but I see that Molly is hanging up the washing, so I walk to her instead.

As I get to her I can hear her sniffling softly. I wrap my arms around her, she tenses for a moment but when she realizes it's me she relaxes. I lean my head on her shoulder. "What's on your mind pretty lady?" I ask and pull her closer to me.

She hangs the pants she's holding and then turns to me. "I think everything is just... setting in." Her green eyes look at me and I feel my heart clench. I pull her into my chest and kiss her head.

"I'm sorry that it happened li-" I'm cut of by mother shouting from inside the house.

"Hey! Ben! Molly! Get in here!" Molly looks up at me and I just shrug. I reluctantly let go and watch her head to the house.

I look to make sure nobody is looking and the coast is clear, I quickly finish hanging up the washing and head inside. I wasn't caught so that's a relief. I go to where all the commotion is coming from, father has also joined us.