Chapter 34

Second last chapter.
And double update
Enjoy

David

I bolt upright, Molly sits up and stares at me with big eyes. "Stay here. Me, Jeff and Shane will go look... if there is something, you take the babies and get into one of the cars. You drive to the police station, I'll meet you there." I say quickly and jump out of the bed.

I head out and see the other two are also up, I lead the way towards the stairs. I walk past Shane's temporary room and see a figure tangled in the sheets. I shoot Shane a look but he just blushes and looks away.

I shake my head and walk down the stairs carefully. "David!" I stop dead in my tracks. "Come and face me, you coward!" Father's voice booms throughout the house.

I swallow hard and take a few steps down. "Don't make me look for you boy!" I hear his heavy footsteps going towards the kitchen. I hurry down the rest of the stairs the other two hot on my heels.

I turn back to Jeff. "Jeff, help get Sue, Molly and the twins to the car." I whisper to him. He nods and heads back up. I take a deep breath and sneak closer. Shane is behind me.

I search along the wall for anything to use as a weapon, I come across a umbrella. I pass it to Shane and continue creeping along the wall.

All of a sudden I'm blinded. I lift my hand to cover my eyes. "There you are!" I remove my hand and squint to see who is speaking. Before I can even react or do anything. A sharp pain spreads through my side, I grunt and clench my side.

My eyes have adjusted now and I look at my side. Theres blood on my hand. I look and see Ben standing with a hunting knife. "For fucks sake Ben! Couldn't you just leave us?!" I scream at him and walk backwards searching for something to use to protect myself.

"There's no such rule David!" I scoff at his remark.

"Oh yeah. Father? Where are you? Show yourself!" I shout and see him marching towards me with the shotgun in his hands. I gulp but don't lose focus on what I need to prove. "Tell him the truth Father!" I shout at him. But he doesn't react. "Why did you always say 'grandson' why did you never once say you were excited to meet your granddaughter? Why were you always so concerned that it should only be a boy?"

"Shut up boy..." he warns me, Ben is watching this unfold. So when I see Sue and Molly being lead out the back by Jeff I relax a bit knowing they will be safe.

Shane jumps onto Ben's back. He claws at his face and Ben lets out a animal sound. Father swings the shotgun towards the two struggling, I charge at him and tackle him to the ground. The gun goes off and flies out a few feet in front of us and I don't hear a cry of pain so I know that nobody was hit.

I scramble to get up and to the gun, but a blow to my injured side slows me down. I continue to go for the gun, my vision blurring from the pain. I grab the gun by the barrel and swing my body around.

I hit Father under the chin, he staggers backwards. I shake the dizziness from my head and swing it again. It hits him and he falls onto his back. "Fuck off Father! Leave us alone!" I hit him with the butt of the gun again and knock him unconscious.

I turn to see Ben strangling Shane, Jeff walks in and stops. "Jeff, get rid of any evidence of our new house." He nods and goes to the dining table to remove the book with the house in it. "Get off of him Ben!" I shout at him but he just squeezes harder.

I walk up to him and swing the gun at his head, he ducks his head and I spin around in a circle. I turn the gun and hold it correctly, I press it against the back of his head. "I said get off of him... I swear I'll shoot you Ben!" He lets out a laugh and this angers me.

I find his foot, I press the muzzle of the gun to his shoe but he doesn't make a move to get off of Shane. I tighten my finger and the gun goes off.

Ben screams out and falls to the side of Shane. I help Shane up as he gulps for air. "Shane go start the other car..."

"I can't dr-"

"Shane just go!" He scurries off and finds the keys, he exits the house. Not long after the door closes I hear the car roar to life.

I look at Jeff and see he has the book. "Is there anything else?" He shakes his head. "Are you 100% sure? There's nothing that they can use to find us?" My side begins to pain as the adrenaline starts to evaporate in my blood. I grunt and follow Ben, who is crawling towards the front door.

"Yeah I have everything." Jeff confirms.

"Okay can you drive?" He nods his head. "Get into the car and pull it to the front." He wants to say something but decides not to.

He walks out and I stare at my brother. "Why didn't you believe me? Why didn't you just leave us? Why did you come after us?" He doesn't say anything, just continues crawling. I kick him onto his back. "Answer me dammit!" He smirks at me.

"Because you are a wimp and a disgrace to our family, David." I spit on him and turn to look at Father. He is still out cold on the floor.

A searing pain spreads through my thigh, I snap my eyes to the source of the pain. That damn knife is embedded in my leg. "Fucking hell Ben!" I scream and kick his face as hard as I can.

His head flies to the side and he goes limp. I bend and feel for a pulse, he is still alive. I walk towards the door, gripping my leg that is now spewing blood out.

I bite on my teeth and hobble towards the car idling a few feet away from me. The pain becomes unbearable, I am so close to the car before my legs give in. I fall on the ground and turn onto my back. The moon is high in the sky, shining bright. The stars are dancing in the night's sky.

I wonder if this is my end... dying on the pavement of the house I kidnapped the love of my life from.

Jeff appears in my sight. His face becoming a shadow. "Hang on man!" I'm being lifted and my eyes drift shut.

The images playing in my mind revolve around Molly and our beautiful babies before everything goes black.