Chapter 30

Molly

The Detective sits before me with a notepad. "So tell me... what's up with the men?" So much for beating around the bush huh... "Why are they... so... unapproachable?"

"Please... they have been through more than me..." he raises an eyebrow. "David... was a slave or labourer, I don't know what is appropriate to describe what he was... he was forced to work on the plot of land that I was kept on... he looked after the livestock and tended to the crops..." he scribbles on the notebook.

"Jeff... he was raised in a secluded cabin in the woods. And Shane was raised on an isolated farm as well..." he looks at me weirdly. "They didn't have any contact with the outside world... you know who is who, right?"

"Yes. They introduced themselves to me... tell me about the people who took you..." I swallow and feel my palms start to sweat.

"Sorry... this... this is difficult..."

"It's okay Molly. The men out there" he points to the door "can't hurt you in here."

I glare at him. "They fucking saved me! You idiot!" I snap at him, he is obviously taken aback by my outburst. "Sorry. But don't assume things Detective." He casts his eyes down to the table. "The family... I was taken for a guy named Thomas, or Tom for short, but he started to abuse me..." I shiver at the memory of the times Tom cornered me. "When David saw what was happening we began planning our escape... while we were, I fell in love, which lead to the twins being born."

"Mmm... and this Shane?"

"He would bring produce or things we didn't have at the farm from..." I draw a blank, I can't say market but I can't say nothing. "From his farm, mostly he would secretly give it to us as we would be starved."

"Jeff?"

"As we were leaving, I went into labor, and surprise, surprise it was twins." I laugh, I should've known when I got so big so quickly that it was more than one baby. "He helped me with my labor and tended to David and Shane's wounds, when we were escaping we ran into the other brother, Ben, yeah he wasn't happy..." I look around the room before letting my eyes drift to the Detective. "Please understand, these men have been through a lot... well to be honest so have I... but I'm the only one who can answer your questions, as the others will not know, how for the reason of how and where they were raised."

He slowly nods his head as if agreeing with me. He opens his mouth to ask another question when a high pitch cry carries through the door. I look at the door, must be the twins, I look at the Detective begging him to let me go back to them. "One last question, then you may leave..." an uneasy feeling fills me and I have a feeling it isn't going to be a good question. "What about your sister?"

My heart drops and I lower my head. Images of her last moments plague my thoughts. "I couldn't save her." A tear rolls down my cheek.

"What do you mean that you couldn't save her? Where were you kept?" This man just doesn't know when to stop, does he?

"Detective... please... my babies need me and I would like to get some rest..." he looks at me while the screams persist through the door.

He sighs and rubs a hand over his face. "Fine. But tomorrow I need to ask you a few more questions. Where are you going to sleep tonight?" I hadn't thought about that...

"My old home?" He doesn't miss the fact I called it 'my old home' but he keeps quiet about that.

"Uh sure... it has been vacant since you uh left... I'll get one of my men to take you there..." he gets up abruptly and opens the door. Something about his attitude towards me says that he senses that my story doesn't quite add up.

We walk to the coffee room and David immediately rushes towards me. It's Selina that's crying, I take her from him and coo at her. The Detective clears his throat. "All of you will have to have a medical consult tomorrow. Have a nice evening."

He turns and walks away. "Are you okay love?" David's voice is soft.

I sit on one of the chairs and unwrap Selina, I pull the blanket across my chest and whip out the milk bank for her. She latches and drinks so hard, I have to bite down on my teeth. I close my eyes and take deep breaths.

"Mmm... we are going to stay at the old house..." I say softly to him. He doesn't answer so I open one eye to see him with a look I don't know. "I know... but we have to and if we can, I'd like you to wear my dad's ring and I, my mom's." His face softens a bit as he sits next to me.

"This is crazy." He says wrapping his arm around me and gently caresses my cheek. "I never would've said that I'd be in a town ever again..." he leans his head on my shoulder and peeps under the blanket. "And I certainly wouldn't have guessed I would become a father to the two beauties..." my heart warms with his words, making everything I've been through, worth it.

Even though I should hate him, I should not love him. I should definitely not be the mother of his children and I shouldn't be trying to protect him. But now, I don't care. My love for him is immeasurable and for the twins, I can't explain how my heart has been filled in a way I didn't know it needed to be filled.

After Selina is happy and fed, an officer escorted us back to my old home.

We all are standing on the pavement staring at the house. Maybe this wasn't a good idea after all.

"Here are the keys ma'am." The officer hands me the keys and wishes us a good night and then leaves us.

"Well... I guess... let's go inside..." I say softly and take a few steps towards the house, the others following after me.

My hand trembles as I insert the key into the door. I take a deep breath and open the door, I switch on the light and for some odd reason I was expecting to see blood smears and dead bodies. But everything is spotless. Everything is just... like it was on a normal day.

I walk upstairs not even looking into the lounge or anywhere else downstairs. 3 sets of footsteps follow me up the stairs, not one word is exchanged.

"Jeff, you can take that room." I point to Penny's old room. "Shane you can take that one over there." I motion to Joshua's old room. "David and I will be in this one." Which is my old room.

David and I settle ourselves quickly in bed with the twins in between us, we fall asleep quickly but my dreams are plagued with images of my family's lifeless bodies.

When we wake up, I help the guys with clothes, David and Shane wear some of Joshua's clothes and Jeff is wearing my dad's, seeing as he is bigger than the other two.

We head out, the officer that dropped us off last night is waiting for us outside, she drives us to the station and directs the men with the twins to the coffee room and takes me to the interrogation room.

I enter and see Detective Murphy sitting there already. "Good morning Molly... I would like for us to talk about how exactly you escaped..."

I swallow hard and sit down. My nerves are getting the best of me now...