Chapter 31

24 hours until the flight to Las Angeles for the trial against Harry and Garrett.

One full day of no expectations except that Harry and Louis be together. For once, Harry was trying to be optimistic. After so many days of discomfort in their relationship, he just wanted the last day before the world could flip to be perfect. So for once, he tried not to think about the what-ifs of tomorrow. And for once, that's all Louis could do.

They laid snuggled into their bed, wrapped completely in each other. When they left the event they had debated getting away, a nice trip to Spain or maybe France. But at the end of the day, they just wanted to be home.

Harry glanced around the bedroom of their flat, trying not to let the fear of this being the last time he's here ruin the serenity of the moment. Louis shifted under him, the skin of Harry's cheek pressed to his bare torso. They'd been in this bed for what felt like days, and Harry couldn't be so sure that it wasn't.

He turned his face, resting his chin on his fist between him and the older of the two.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Louis was quiet. He'd begged for weeks that Harry not only think of the bad but yet here he was, frightened of what may come. He lifted his head off the pillow to plant a kiss on top of Harry's head.

"Come with me," he said, standing and leading them both to the shower. After they were all clean, and had made love once more, they dressed quickly as Louis ushered Harry out the door. There was a cafe three blocks away, and they proudly held hands for the streets of London.

Harry couldn't help but whine, wanting only to go back up to their home and spend the next 22 hours just how they'd spent the last. Louis tutted him before leading him inside the small quaint building. The moment Harry entered, he forgot all about home as he locked eyes with the women in the corner booth.

"Mum? Gemma?" He turned to Louis, who met his eyes with a smile. "Did you do this?"

"Don't thank me. I've just seen how much you've missed them." He was about to turn away as he gestured to the pair, but Harry grabbed his arm, not wanting a moment without him. Silently, Louis nodded and followed Harry to the table. The girls both stood and gave each of them a kiss on the cheek.

It's not like Harry hadn't spoken to them. They knew everything that was going on in his life, and they frequently shared phone calls, but Harry hadn't seen either of them in so long. Too long. He found himself breaking the promise he had secretly made—not to fret about the trial— because the moment he'd sat down, surrounded by his family, he couldn't help the worries that poured out of him.

He could talk to them all day, but he also wanted to experience more than just a coffee shop with his mum and sister on what could be his last day of freedom. After only an hour with them, he cried into their hugs goodbye, fearing the permanence of them.

"Hey," Gemma's voice was laced with comfort. "We'll see you in the courtroom, alright?"

"You're coming?"

"Of course we are." Harry found a touch of relief in the promising words of his mother. Of course, as if how could you think we wouldn't.

Harry felt like a tourist, spending the day visiting the most beautiful parts of the city. Louis kissed him on top of the London Eye. They walked hand in hand on the edges of Little Venice, and not once did they care about the pictures so obviously being taken of them.

The curly boy made sure to bring his medication on most outings these days, afraid of what stress might cause, but he'd been lucky enough to not have any attacks. Only twice did he feel that ever so aching spot in his head light up, but it never led to anything more.

"And that's when I realized that I'd be the one making all the moves," Louis laughed as they recounted beautiful memories of their last 6, almost 7 years together. "You were always so nervous around me, but I loved it. I never thought I'd be okay with totally being myself until you, Baby."

Harry took Louis' hand in his own. They were finishing dinner at the one and only diner they had had their first date at. Only 13 more hours.

"I love you."

"I love you."

~

The plane was cold. They'd been in the air for over ten hours already, mostly sleeping and cuddling into each other.

"We're going to be fine, we're strong, so strong. We'll be alright."

Louis had been mumbling his own personal mantra for most of the flight, trying to calm Harry's nerves. They'd be landing in Las Angeles at about four in the morning, and the trial would start at eleven. Harry snuggled his head further into Louis' neck, trying to soak in as much of him as he possibly could.

"We'll be just fine."

Exiting the plane, though it was still dark and just before four, the boys were still met with flashing cameras. Each person screaming a different question neither Louis nor Harry had answers to. How will the trial play out? How long will it last? What does this mean for the band?

Each question added a bit more pressure. Each shout made Harry's headache that much worse. He could feel something coming. A scream building up inside him. He wanted to stay calm, but more so he wanted to tell them all to just shut up.

Suddenly, reassurance washed over him, and the anger slowly subsided as Louis reached down and took his hand, not caring about the paparazzi.

"We'll be alright."

A/N: honestly guys I think there will only be two more chapters and mayyybe an epilogue and I'm getting rather emotional about that fact. I've been writing on this story for so long now, nearly three and a half years, and I'm sad to see it coming to an end. I'd really just like to thank each of you for reading and supporting this story. Every time I get new comments I get so happy. Writing is something I love to do and I'm really grateful you all have given me that chance. I'd love to see you on my next story, whenever that may come. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart. -A / missingstylinson14 x.