Chapter One

Chapter One
I stopped myself from groaning out loud as I passed the gates of my school. I really don’t like school and I would guess it is the same for most people. The main gate of the University Of Benin stood proudly and busy as it has always been. My school is really nice but the thought of spending money, fending for myself, dodging haters and all that uni-stress had me groaning internally. 

I held on to the straps of my bag, preparing to get down from the bus since my place was close by but off campus. I finally dropped with my two big travelling boxes and glared at all the passers-by especially young boys who didn’t even have the decency to ask if I needed help. Not that I would have accepted, but a tiny girl carrying such heavy stuff should move them even a little.

“What gentlemen!” I muttered to myself as two able bodied boys just passed by. When I finally got home, I started arranging and cleaning and all that. My roommate hadn’t arrived yet so I had the room to myself.

After a while,  I had finished all I had to do.  With a sigh,  I landed on my bed. 

I got my phone out and called someone I hadn’t talked to in so long. I always happen to remember to call Daniel anytime I am at school. We usually just chat. His and my parents are friends so we see each other from time to time. He also ended up in the same university so we became closer that way.

“Hey Daniel, what’s up?”  

“Hey Tara, I’m still home o. don’t tell me you’re in school already”

“I just arrived?”

“Hmm. Na you school pass.” I rolled my eyes.

“No jhoor. You think I wanted to come? The course rep was just disturbing everyone to resume on the group chat. He said some lectures have started.” (please)

“Scam!!”

“Daniel. Shut up jhoor. Don’t make me feel bad for resuming early.”

“Okay okay, whatever. How are you sha?”(Anyway)

“I’m okay, sort of tired. My arms are dying here. I carried two big heavy bags just now. The worst is that no one could help me.”

He laughed. “You just don’t have enough friends to help you.” 

A pout formed on my lips and I glared at the phone forgetting for a second that I was just a call. “yhu jun don haf enaf fends ta hap yhu” I mimicked shrugging my shoulders as hiccups would in ‘how to train your dragon.’

“Stop it Tara. Anyway, I have to go. Tell me when school has really started them I can resume a week after.” I smiled.

“Okay. Goodnight.” The call ended and I glared at the ceiling.

‘Stop it Tara. You could have a permanent frown on you face if you keep that up.’

 Damn, I could still hear my mom’s voice in my head. I stopped the frown on my face. My stomach grumbled needing justice and I went cooking.

Soon enough, the next day came and it was time for school.

****

“Omotara!”  Efosa, my best friend practically screamed and I ducked my head in embarrassment as I saw her furiously waving me over. 

“Ooomph” I released a breath as he threw her arms around me.

“Girl I missed you so much.”

“Me too. I’m awesome that way but did you really have to scream my awesome name?”

“You this girl, you haven’t stopped deceiving yourself.” She said flicking my forehead.

“Whatever. Why didn’t you answer your calls now?”

“My parents seized my phone. I wasn’t even home for one week and they seized it already. Do they know what I do at school?”

I giggled and shook my head at her exasperation. We talked about the holiday while heading to our class at A4. I went about greeting my friends when I saw them before finding a seat to and getting all my things out of my bags. Efosa sat right beside me. I observed the class rep heading into the class and take the microphone.

“Praise the Lord, testing-testing. This is James. 1..2..” I laughed. “Oh, I can see more people have resumed. Ehh, Christine, is that you?” I was 90 percent sure that this Christine girl was facepalming.

“Nobody likes you!!” I heard Jerome, some guy scream from the back.

“F+ck you”I shook my head. Just where did we get these people?

 “Anyway” He continued, “Our ENL213 class is now at C2.” 

SEE RACE!!!

I scrambled to my feet and packed all my things in my hands as we hurried out of the class and to the new location of our class. Getting there late would make mean seating at the back and that was a big no. In the rush, I couldn’t pack my things in my bag so I had to settle for just holding everything.

‘”Oomph” I ran into someone and lost my balance. I was expecting the most embarrassing fall of my life when I felt two strong arms reach out to hold me. I finally opened my eyes and met the gaze of a very handsome stranger. He had dark skin. His hair was cut to perfection and all in all, very handsome.

“Won’t you leave her?” I heard Efosa say from a distance and that was enough for the both of us to snap out of whatever Indian movie we were acting just now.

 Really? The gazing into his eyes is too cliché. 

Efosa seemed to have left me behind before realizing that I wasn’t with her anymore. “I’ll keep space for you.” She said leaving me alone with Mr handsome.

I bent down in a squat and started picking my things and he too bent to pick up my things.

“Thank you so much. Sorry for that.”

“It’s okay. “ He said handing me my books.

I nodded and turned to move when he called out.

“Wait. I’m Ayo. Nice to meet you” He held out his hand and I took it. 

I knew it!! Yoruba boys are always fine.

“I’m Omotara.” I said too just as I spotted our course adviser heading to the new venue of the class. “I’m really sorry, I have to go. Thanks again.” I said and ran off.

I passed the course adviser and found Efosa towards the front of the class and slipped into the seat beside her. After a while, when the lady entered the class, I realized she wasn’t punishing late comers and I had to face palm. I just passed up talking to Mr. Handsome. It’s not every day you see a guy like that.

I sighed and then shrugged. 

meh, get over it.  You’ve see better. I said to myself recalling Daniel. The rest of the day went on fine and when I arrived home, my roommate had come.

***
Hey hey!! All you Yoruba boys, don’t let it get too far into your heads. So, we have met a little of both of them. What do you think? Also,  I'm so sure most of you think that whole running into someone and gazing into their eyes is just a film thing but it actually happened.  Favour tell them!!  Sorta happened to me too.  All my files went scattered around everywhere and the guy helped me pick it up but there was no Indian movie after that so.. 

Remember To..

Comment And Vote..

Your Lovely Author..

Suwa..