Chapter Twenty-Two

"It was really nice of you to visit, Laur," Ally sat down across from me and handed me my requested bottle of beer. "But I'm kind of confused on something."

"And that is?" I raised my eyebrow and at the same time twisted the cap off the beer bottle in only three attempts. 

"Why are you drinking at eight o'clock in the morning?"

The corner of my mouth twisted into a small smile, "I'm just not a coffee person, and when you're twenty three you can do things- like drink."

"And according to the bags under your eyes, you were obviously a little busy last night," Ally bounced her eyes playfully as she reclined in her armchair.

"Please, I haven't had sex in years," -I paused in thought- "sober sex that is."

Ally let out a bundle of laughter, "I'm never having sex again. The one time I finally agreed to get naked, I ended up with a fat belly and another boy in my life."

"Speaking of that boy, where is he?" I adjusted my posture and looked around the lounging area. 

"On a business trip in Ireland."

"Not Troy," I rolled my eyes and took a sip of the alcohol. "The little one, Trevor."

"Watching his cartoons in the kitchen," Ally massaged her forehead. "And since we're suddenly on this topic of Trevor, can you do me a favor?"

"What is it?"

"I have to go in early for work so I can't bring Trevor to school this morning or pick him up," Ally sighed. "And since Troy is away he obviously can't help, and the babysitter took this week off unexpectedly-"

"Calm yourself, Ally," I smiled before leaning over to pat her knee in a comforting manner. "Of course I'll be Trevor's personal chauffeur today."

"Thank you so much," Ally grinned and hopped up. "His stuff is on the kitchen counter and I'll leave the car seat outside."

I stood up after her and began to follow her out of the living room and into the kitchen. The four year old boy was positioned on a swiveling stool, his brown eyes glued to a television that was not too close, but not to far away from him. He occasionally scooped some cereal into a spoon and slurped it down with the additional milk. 

"Hey Trev," Ally cooed and approached behind the boy before kissing the top of his head lightly. "Mommy is going to head to work, alright?"

The boy nodded, but he was still entranced by the blaring cartoon. Ally rolled her eyes and reached for the remote. She then lowered the volume, but the boy didn't seem to mind since he didn't even look up.

"One more thing," Ally walked towards me and snatched the bottle from my hands. "No drinking while driving."

"Oh come on, Ally!" I shouted as the older woman disposed of the filled glass. She shrugged with a light smile and picked up a pair of keys that were beside Trevor's bowl of breakfast. Ally stopped in front of Trevor and pecked his forehead gently before taking off out the front door. 

"Alright Trevor," I plopped myself down besides Trevor who turned himself to face me. His dirty blonde hair swooped just below his eyebrows and milk splotches crusted up on the side of his mouth. I reached for the television remote and switched it off to a black screen. "You ready for school?"

He swiveled around in his stool, unable to sit still, "Yeah! Guess what we're doing today?"

"What?" I grinned at his anxiousness and got up from my stool to make my way to the kitchen sink. 

"We're watching the TV and making pictures!" Trevor yelped happily. "Do you want a picture? I can make you a picture!"

"That'd be great, I'd love a picture from you," the smile deepened as I placed a piece of the paper towel under the to soak it up. I walked back over to the counter after shutting the sink and leaned over the marble counter top. "You've got some breakfast all over your face. Got to impress the ladies, right?"