Chapter 74: Poison

Mori's point of view...

I turned away for one second, that was all it took. One second she was there and in the next she was gone. I knew the order wasn't above killing children and that's what scared me.
I ran into my mother's chamber and the door slammed behind me.
"Where the hell is she?!" I snapped.
My mother just smirked.
"What did you expect to happen"
Rage caused my blood to boil and I drew my weapon.
"Even you are not that foolish."
I reluctantly put my weapon back.
If I died, Loki died to.
I stormed out of the room and thought back to where they kept her originally.
I took off into a sprint.
Once inside the pocket dimensions my fears were confirmed.
I grabbed the nearest guard and placed my hand on a band around his wrist.
"Tell me where she is or I'll make the years you spent in here come crashing down so fast they'll find a dusty skeleton where your corpse should be!" I growled.
"D-down the hall... the first observation room!"
I let go of the band and went on my way.
When I made it to the door I found it locked.
I tried accessing the panel but a safeguard kept the door shut.
A black mist appeared around my right hand and I punched the door with all my might.
The magnetic lock failed and the door slowly opened.
I took a step inside and saw only darkness. The mist seemed to go into my arm and I could see in the dark. At the other end of the room was a soldier who no doubt was planning on ambushing me, all helmets came equipped with night vision, but this wasn't night.
With the snap of my fingers I condensed the darkness and gave him a brief glimpse into the void. He frantically pressed buttons on the panel that controlled his night vision and after a few seconds I returned the darkness to its normal level. The sudden change in light produced an effect in his helmet that created a light so bright I could see it through the tinted glass of his visor. I watched him drop to the ground and let out a cry as he removed his helmet and tried to rub his eyes.
I walked closer to him and grabbed his throat.
"What the hell did you do?!" I snapped.
"They don't tell me anything! They just said to shoot whoever forced their way in!"
I squeezed a little harder.
"Would you get your life on that answer?" I hissed.
"I don't get to pick my assignments! By the time I got here they were already done! If I had the ability to actually make a difference it wouldn't have mattered because there was nothing left to stop!" He chocked out.
I let him go.
I watched him reach into his pocket and I gripped my own weapon. As if he knew what I was doing he put his other hand up as he produced a card.
"Put it in the slot by the door, it should turn the lights on."
I did what he said and the light returned.
While I had been able to see in the dark it wasn't as detailed as if I was seeing in the light.
I took a slow step towards the table in the center of the room. I saw her face, she was older now, a young woman with the face of her mother. There was a thin blanket covering her and I removed it.
I saw cuts and stitches on her naked body. If they weren't so neatly done I would've thought this was torture, but this was quite clearly the work of a doctor.
I picked the blanket back up and wrapped the girl up in it. She looked so weak.
The movement caused her eyes to open slowly and as she saw me her pale lips formed a smile.
That was all it took for the guilt of losing her to take hold. That guilt was twisted just like my anger and became fuel for the darkness inside me.
My mother wanted me to be a demon and I wanted to stop the war. My mother thought that this was enough to allow the darkness to consume me, but she failed. This darkness and the demons that reside in it are mine and mine alone.
I lifted up the girl and held her like I would a child. I had no allies except for the darkness around me.
I wouldn't allow my mother to use me as a weapon I decided that I was going to take her home.
I heard the click of a gun being loaded and covered Loki more than I already was. I knew who was doing this, no one else would load a gun at me and not fire immediately.
"She'll die if you take her." Said my mother.
Anger swelled up inside me, I was tired of her games.
"What the hell did you do to her?!" I shouted as loudly as I could.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw her smile. She planned this from the start.
"In order to avoid monster children getting involved with other human children or possibly adults, the demon queen helped monster adapt to take in the mana that naturally flows throughout all worlds. That pest you found yourself so attached to is now the first monster to be implanted with a device that completely nullifies any magic based energy. That little rat could he the dirtiest monster to ever exist and still starve due to her not being able ingest spirit energy. And the best part, normal food will only affect her slightly, giving her just enough nutrition to extend her suffering."
If Loki hadn't been in my arms I would've clenched my hands so hard my own bones would've cracked.
"What sin has this child committed?" I asked.
"That thing should've died before it left the womb." She answered.
"You were a mother once, how could you allow this... this atrocity to happen to a child?!" I snapped.
I heard the demon of a woman behind me chuckle.
"She looks like an adult to me."
"When I look in her eyes I see the eyes of a scared child." I retorted.
"Believe what you want, but know this, the only thing that can keep her from starving is this." She responded tossing something on the table.
I used my free hand to grab it. Upon closer examination I saw that it was some kind of injection.
"What aren't you telling me?" I asked.
There was no response. I pocketed the needle and a knife appeared in my hand, if I was playing her game I wasn't about to be a pawn that dies because the player didn't think to move it.
One day later, Y/N POV
A harpy flew into the base with a look of fear in her eyes. She spoke of a man holding a monster. His clothes were black but covered in crimson and held an expression that seemed to be one of spite. An hour passed and there was a knock at the entrance. I looked through an opening and saw who was there.
"Mori" I whispered.
I opened the door and he walked in.
"I believe this belongs to you." He said in a tired voice.
He handed the woman over to me. She was a Cheshire cat and at first I didn't know what Mori had meant by the statement of her belonging to me. And then I looked at her face. Warm tears welled up in my eyes as I knew who she was.
"How?" I whispered as I wrapped my arms around the girl.
"Another time, however I believe it's in her best interest if I find your wife." He said.
I told him where Sarah was, his actions made no sense.
Before he left my view he turned back towards me.
"You and her shared different fates in a similar place, I don't know for how long or how little, but what was a few moments for me were years for her." He said before turning around and walking down the corridor.
I looked down at the sleeping face of my daughter and wondered what horrors existed in her mind.
"I'm sorry." I whispered.