CHAPTER FIVE

RUNAWAY,
CHAPTER FIVE

MIKEY and jill walked out of the office, eliminating enemies that stood in their way

MIKEY and jill walked out of the office, eliminating enemies that stood in their way. the two make it back into the diner. "you feeling okay?" jill asked, looking over at the teenage boy.

"yeah." mikey nodded. "just exhausted." he took a step, only for him to fall on the floor. jill's eyes widened, helping mikey back up on his feet. the brunette leads him towards one of the booths.

"okay, let's rest of a bit." jill sighs, helping the boy sit. once mikey sat down, she sat across from him. "do you still have water?" she questioned, only for him to nod.

mikey takes off his bag, opening the big pocket. he takes out his water bottle, unscrewing the cap of it. "do you—."

"no. stop offering." jill shook her head at the boy's offer once again. mikey stares at the woman for a bit before talking a sip of his now hot water.

"i'm sorry for slowing you down, jill." mikey frowns, closing his bottle. "i know how much you wanna get to the station already. i'm just making it harder for you." he sighed, putting his bottle into his bag, zipping it up after.

"hey, you're not slowing me down." jill denied, giving mikey an assuring look. "we'll take all the time we need." she smiled softly, reaching over to ruffle his hair.

"so, since we're here.." mikey smirked softly. "how about you tell me what's going on with you and carlos?" he joked, raising his eyebrows up at the s.t.a.r.s. officer.

"for the ten thousandth time, nothing is going on between carlos and i." jill answered, shrugging her shoulders softly. "i mean, i think. i don't know." she groans in frustration. "it's complicated." she admitted, looking down at the table.

"complicated? how so?" mikey furrowed his eyebrows, looking at jill in confusion.

"because— forget it. let's go." jill shook her, removing herself from the booth. mikey stands up, pulling his backpack on.

"but wait, i wanna know—."

"mikey, let's go." jill interrupted, walking towards the doors of the donut shop. mikey sighs in frustration, walking towards the door with jill.

they open the door only to see the deadly creature growing something on one of the zombie's heads. "what the hell is it doing to them?" jill questioned, taking her shotgun out. jill glances at mikey, handing him her handgun.

"jill, i don't— i can't—."

"i believe in you." jill reloads her shotgun, getting ready to run. "only shoot when something's in front of you. for now, run!" she throws him the gun, starting to run up the stairs of the street.