CHAPTER FOURTEEN

HOPE
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

MIKEY had a harsh grip on his gun, ready for anything that was to come

MIKEY had a harsh grip on his gun, ready for anything that was to come. the lump in his throat was unbearable and sweat dripped down his forehead. he just wanted to get out of here. he just wanted somewhere to call home.

the platform finally ascended to the top floor, causing the two to sigh in relief. they step off the platform and start looking around the room. mikey kneels onto the floor and takes his book bag off. he opens it, taking out the water bottle. "jill, here." mikey calls out, resulting in jill to walk over.

jill looks at the water bottle and shakes her head. "i told you i don't need any—."

"jill, you haven't drank anything in three days. you need water in your system." mikey frowns, holding the water bottle for her to grab. jill stays quiet, looking at the liquid for a moment. "jill, please?" he begs, looking up at her with his soft brown eyes.

jill hesitates for a minute before grabbing the water bottle. "fine." she mumbled, unscrewing the cap. once the bottle was open, she started drinking the warm fluid. although the water was now hot, jill felt relief as she felt her throat savor every drop of the water she swallowed.

once she was done, she closed the cap, handing it to mikey. "see? don't you feel better?" he teased with a playful grin on his face. he puts the bottle into his bag and closes it. he then slips the bag onto him again.

jill lets out a small chuckle, before heading towards the exit. "come on, carlos should be nearby." jill motions, resulting in mikey to follow her.

the two walk out of the room, only to see that the lower ground was surrounded by flammable tanks. "what in god's name is this place?" jill questioned with annoyance written in her voice.

"have people not noticed this before?" mikey asked with confusion written on his face. "how'd they even build this place?" he questioned, pulling gun out of his pocket.

"stay close to me, alright?" she took her grenade launcher out, walking towards the steps. mikey nodded, trailing behind her. he checks his surroundings as they walked down the stairs, making sure that devilish creature was nowhere  to be found.

jill gasped, watching the wall above crash through the wall. the monster lets out a deadly roar, causing fear to go through mikey's body.

"mikey, go!" mikey and jill start making their way upstairs. right as mikey made the second flight, he turns around to see that the platform that they were climbing starts to break.

"jill!" he shouts, seeing the woman hang onto the stairs for dear life. jill yelps, falling down, only for the vaccine to fall onto the platform she was holding onto.

"jill, i'm coming!" mikey calls out, trying to find a way to get down to where jill was.

"no! mikey, stay where you are!" she grunts, clenching her teeth as she tried her best to pull herself up.

"ooh, what do we have here?" mikey rolled his eyes at the sound of nicholai's voice. his eyes widened, watching him pick up the vaccine.

"nicholai, don't! the city needs that vaccine!" she grunted, holding on as tight as she can.

"look dude, people's lives are at risk. just help her up and give it back." mikey called out, causing nicholai to look up at the kid. he smirks at him before standing up.

"more than i do?" he questioned, giving mikey a quick smirk before looking down at the helpless woman. he examines the vaccine for a moment.

"i don't think the wisdom i've been trying to impart on you is getting through." he smirked, stepping on jill's fingers. jill screams in pain causing mikey to grow angry.

"don't hurt her!" he yells. "stop!" he calls out with his heart pounding in his chest. he takes his gun out, watching as he stepped on her fingers.

jill grunts, trying her best to hold on. "now i know you can't put a price on life. but i'm in this business to get paid." nicholai explained, causing mikey to grow angry.

"you fucker! just leave her alone, please— fuck!" he shouts in pain, feeling a bullet pierce through his shoulder.

"you son of a bitch!" jill cursed, watching as mikey slid against the wall in agony. nicholai smirks, his gun in his pocket.

"so, let's make a deal!" nicholai smirked, continuing to step on her fingers. "you go down there, battle the nemesis and i'll record it and sell the combat data." he compromised. "put on a good show and maybe i don't need the vaccine. agreed? good." he kicks her down, causing her to yelp in pain.

jill tumbles to the ground, anger and worry rushing through her veins. she was angry at nicholai for putting her through this and she was worried about mikey. god, she wanted him dead.

jill gets up weakly, taking her gun out immediately. "let's get this over with." she mumbled, starting to shoot at the creature.

meanwhile, mikey sat against the wall, feeling blood coat his shoulder. he felt helpless, just hearing jill fight that monster on his own. he could've done something but instead, he had to get injured. "mikey? mikey!" mikey looks over, only to see carlos rushing over to him.

"hey carlos." he greeted weakly, trying his best to breath through the pain. carlos helps mikey up, holding him tightly.

"what happened? where's jill?" he questioned with fear in his eyes.

"he... he shot me." he slurred, feeling everything around him fog. he was losing blood and he was losing it fast, luckily he took some supplies from the hospital.

"who shot you?" carlos questioned, furrowing his eyebrows at the injured teenager.

"nic-" everything around him starts to turn black. the only thing heard was jill's weapons and nemesis' mighty roars.

"ah shit!"

THIS CHAPTER WAS SO SHORT. i'm sorry 😔💔
poor mikey. he's always getting injured.

also, i didn't refer nemesis by his name before because i feel like it wouldn't have been realistic tbh. they only know his name now because of nicholai, so yeah.

DATE PUBLISHED: 8/4/20
TIME PUBLISHED: 6:18 p.m.
WORD COUNT: 1048