CHAPTER SIX

CARLOS,
CHAPTER SIX

MIKEY sat in the train car alone with his knees close to his chest

MIKEY sat in the train car alone with his knees close to his chest. thoughts rummaged through his head thinking about all the danger jill was currently in. "water?" mikey looks up to see carlos with a cold bottle of water. without saying anything, mikey grabs the bottle of water, unscrewing the cap.

"look, i know we got off on the wrong got back there but since i'm gonna be watching you until jill comes back, i'm carlos." he introduced, holding his hand out for the boy to shake.

mikey glances at his hand and then back at him. he screws the cap back onto his water bottle. he reaches out, shaking carlos' hand. "i'm mikey." he mumbled.

"you've been through a lot, haven't you?" carlos asked, resulting in mikey to nod softly. "where's your parents?" he questioned.

"my mom and my sister died years ago and my dad.." he closes his eyes, remembering his father's fleshy arm. "h-he was bit." the boy stuttered.

"i'm sorry about that, buddy." carlos frowned, feeling a lot of compassion for the boy. "you're one brave kid, i'll give you that for sure." he complimented, still not getting a reaction from mikey. "let's talk about something else, to get your mind off of— ya know." he suggested.

"alright." mikey shrugged, looking at the hairy man. "what do you have in mind?" he asked, looking at the man.

"well, i'll ask you questions and you'll answer them." carlos shrugged with mikey raising an eyebrow.

"so like an interrogation?" mikey asked, scrunching his nose up slightly. carlos chuckled, shaking his head at the young teen's head.

"no, i just wanna get to know you." carlos smiled softly. "anyways, did you play any sports before this whole thing happened?" he asked.

mikey shook his head. "i don't know if it counts but i used to skateboard. i was trying to do an ollie but then this shit happened." he admits.

"hey, when we get out of this shithole, i'll buy you a new skateboard. what do you say?" mikey's eyes widened slightly at carlos' offer.

"i-i— dude, would you really do that?" mikey was in awe at the man's act of kindness. "but i can't. i don't even know you like that." he rejected, shaking his head.

"no, no, i insist. you deserve happiness after this and if that's what makes you happy, who am i to not give you what you want?" a large smile grew on mikey's face.

"thank you, sir. thank you." he smiled, just receiving a nod from carlos. after a moment of silence, he looks back at carlos. "so uh you and jill are friends, right?" he asked with a small smirk growing on his face. "like, good friends?" he questioned.

"i wouldn't say 'friends.'" he started. "she doesn't like me and she's made this crystal clear." carlos chuckled, running a hand through his floppy black hair.