CHAPTER NINE

HOSPITALITY,
CHAPTER NINE

MIKEY sat against the wall, sobbing in pain and fear

MIKEY sat against the wall, sobbing in pain and fear. his cut started bleeding again and he honestly felt like he was losing a third pint of blood. he held his side, trying his best to prevent the bleeding. the boy tenses up once he heard loud footsteps running towards the two.

"mikey, jill!" carlos rushes over to mikey first. "are you okay? do you need—."

"we can worry about me later." he swallowed, breathing heavily. "right now, jill needs your help." he pulls his bag on, standing up slowly. "i-i don't know what happened. i woke up and she was just on the floor." he whimpered with his bottom lip trembling.

"don't worry, buddy. i'm here now." carlos reassured, pulling the shorter boy into a soft hug. mikey pulls away from the hug, holding his side with one arm.

he crouches down to jill, pulling her into his arms. "hey, answer me." he pleaded, noticing the amount of blood by jill's body. mikey closes his eyes, looking away from the scene. this was not how this trip was supposed to go. they were both supposed to survive.

"god damn it!" carlos exclaimed, looking down at the injured woman. he turns his radio on, contacting his partner. "tyrell, do you copy?" he asked, glancing at mikey and then jill.

"what's going on?" the man asked on the other end of the radio.

"mikey's injured and jill's been infected." he responds. "i-i'm taking them to the hospital. maybe doctor bard could save jill a-and i'll stitch mikey up when i get there." he stuttered.

mikey listened to the conversation, closely. 'there's a cure?' he thought to himself, looking down at jill. 'i guess she'll be saved after all.' he smiled weakly, wincing in pain. he looks down to see his hand coated with blood.

"alright, meet you there." carlos hangs up, pulling jill onto his back. "you hang in there, super cop. i got ya." he coped. he looks over at mikey. "mikey, here." he takes jill's handgun out of her holster, tossing it towards mikey.

mikey grabs the gun, putting it into the back pocket of his jeans. "stay close, alright?" mikey nodded, staying near carlos and they traveled to the hospital.

the trio finally makes it to the hospital. carlos enters a hospital room, placing jill on the hospital bed gently. "fight it, jill." he started, looking at the sick woman. "i'm gonna get you that vaccine." he reassured, turning to mikey.

"c'mon, sit down. i'm gonna stitch you up before i search for the vaccine." mikey obeyed, placing his bag on the floor. he removes his sweater and his shirt, laying down on the other hospital bed.

carlos searches the cabinets for mikey's wound. he grabs some anti peroxide, to clean out his wound and a needle and a thread. he walks over to the boy, placing the objects down on a metal tray. he grabs a cloth, wiping away some access blood. mikey winces a bit at the burning sensation.

"this is gonna hurt, a lot." carlos warned. mikey said nothing, looking away the man. "i know you're worried about jill." he started, opening the cap to the anti peroxide. "but, i'm gonna find the vaccine and i'm gonna save her." he reassured.

"i just don't wanna lose anyone else." mikey whimpered, looking at the wall next to him. "she's the only person i have left. i don't know what i'd do without her." he admits, trying his best not to look at his wound.

carlos pours some of the peroxide onto the cloth. "this is gonna burn. just try your best to stay still, okay?" mikey nodded, closing his eyes tightly. he let's out a throaty groan, feeling the burning sensation on his wound.

"i won't let anything happen to you or jill, understand?" carlos questioned. "you need jill and even though she might not wanna admit it, she needs you too." he started, closing the cap of the bottle.

"what do you mean?" mikey asked, raising an eyebrow at the man.

"she loves you a lot, mikey. she told me that she'd do whatever it takes for you to have a good life." he admits.

all mikey wanted was a real family. he wanted to be loved and cared for— jill actually made him feel loved.

"she loves you a lot, mikey. i don't think jill's gonna let some virus stop her from taking care of you." he inserts the thread into the hole of the needle. "this is gonna pinch." he sighs softly, starting to work on the boy's side.

mikey grunts softly, growing agitated from the pinch like feelings. "ya know, before the apocalypse, my dad and i didn't have a good relationship." he started. "after my mom and my sister died, he started drinking and i had to do whatever it took to pay the rent." he frowned. "like stealing and shit like that." he admitted. "i hated doing those things but if my dad wasn't gonna take care of me, i had to take care of myself." mikey sighed, resulting in carlos to let out a frown.

"you're a tough kid, mikey." carlos sighed, finishing up the last stitch. "i can't imagine what you had to go through. i'm sorry, kiddo." he grabs some scissors, breaking off the thread when he was done. "alright, all you need to do is rest." carlos grabs his gun from the floor, passing mikey his shirt and his hoodie.

"can i come?" mikey asked, pulling on his t-shirt and his red hoodie. "i can help you and—."

"no, you need to rest. i don't want you to injure yourself more." carlos shook his head at the young boy. "besides, i need you to take care of jill when i'm gone." he responds.

mikey frowns, laying back in the hospital bed. "you can count on me." he takes hs gun out of his back pocket, placing it on the tray next to him.

"stay safe, kid. i'll be back soon." carlos leaves the room, causing mikey to bite his lip softly.

"don't worry, jill. we're making it out alive. you and me both." he whispered, leaning his head against the soft pillow.

jill wanting to adopt mikey 💗
she'd be such a good mom for him bruh 🥺👉🏼👈🏼

DATE PUBLISHED: 7/23/20
TIME PUBLISHED: 12:59 p.m.
WORD COUNT: 1119