A New Beginning

"But there's a beginning in an end, you know? It's true that you can't reclaim what you had, but you can lock it up behind you. Start fresh."

Alexandra Bracken

A New Beginning

I remember my first day at my new school as if it had happened yesterday.

I remember how I excited I was when I went ou to buy school supplies

I remember how excited I was when I received my class list

I remember how my face lt up when I remembered that I was entering fourth grade, I thought I was so big.

I remember how it felt, waking up on the first day of school, not a calm bone in my body

"Mama," I said "I don't want to go to school"

I'm sure she had been shocked, although, I don't remember.

I'm sure she wondered why the hell her daughter who had been so excited about her first day of school was suddenly terrified.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her arms sway by her sides as she enters our room. I notice a growing smile on her face and feel one growing on mine too.

"Girls," Emelia says "I have some good news for you.

I watch as Dina sits down on a desk, and Sonny removes her earbuds which are pressed gently in her ears.

"You may be getting a new roommate!"

The smiles that filled the room are suddenly gone. I watch Dina frown, and I observe as Sonny shakes her head in disapproval.

"A new roommate?" Dina asks

I feel my lip start to quiver.

"Ya!" Emilia hadn't noticed the change in our demeanor "Isn't that just so exciting?"

I stifle a laugh, although none of this is even remotely funny.

It was like I had to start over, from the beginning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She walked towards me flipping her hair if only to let me know she was important.

I remember staring at her outfit, she was significantly more put together than I had been.

I stared at her eyes, her bright green eyes, as she stared at mine, willing me to make the first move, asking me to look away first.

I remember what she had said to me because it had stuck with me throughout the years

"I'm Evil" she had said "so watch your back"

"Why are you evil?" I had replied

I remember how shocked she was that someone had replied to her, that someone had interacted with her

"Everyone is evil" she had said "It's just a matter of who shows it"

I remember being stunned by this interaction, so shocked that when Molly approached me, I stood frozen for almost a whole minute.

"I'm Molly" she had said

I remember the way she scrunched her eyes when she smiled, the way her lips thinned out.