Epilogue

Three months later...

The band inevitably fell apart. Our friendship with Harper fell to pieces and, quite frankly, none of us were really interested in it anymore. Rye and I were too caught up in each other and the others were more interested in their own stuff. So we called it quits.

Harper and Brooklyn moved away and we lost contact with them both. I missed Brook quite a lot but not all friendships were made to last. I could survive no longer being a part of his life because he chose Harper after everything.

Harper started dating Brianna and she moved away with them. It was sad to see her go but we knew it was for the best. It wouldn't have done her any good having to see Rye and I together. It'd only remind her of what she lost and I didn't want that for her. She deserved happiness and I could only hope that things between her and Harper didn't work out. There was no way Harper could give her the life she deserved.

Sonny, however, was still my best friend. We might've been saying goodbye once again, but we weren't walking away from each other like last time. I wanted and needed him in my life and I'd be dammed if I lost him again. So we made sure to stay in touch. We weren't as close as we once were, but that had something to do with the distance between us and the fact he was trying to get over me. I didn't want to make it harder for him so I gave him the space he needed.

I couldn't regret falling in love with Rye. It was the best thing that happened to me and I was lucky that I got the chance to love him. But there was still a part of me that wished things could've been different. If I'd felt the same way for Sonny, it would've saved so much heartbreak. Brianna would've been happy with Rye and I wouldn't have hurt Sonny.

"You ready to go? Our flight leaves in five."

I looked up at my boyfriend with a smile.

Boyfriend.

I'd never get used to calling him that.

"I can't believe we're finally doing this. Staring a life together."

"Well believe it baba, cause it's happening." He grinned, holding out his hand for me to take. I let him lead me to the ticket desk and it wasn't long before we were sat side by side on the plane, heading towards our new life.

"You think Brianna's gonna be okay with Harper?" He asked. He still loved her and I accepted that, knowing he's always choose me over her.

"I doubt it." I answered honestly. "But she's strong. She can handle herself."

"You ever think about how things could've been different?"

"Different how?"

"As in how things could've been if neither of us had fallen for a boy."

"You mean if I was straight and you hadn't caught feelings for me?"

He nodded.

"I'd probably still be with Amelia. The only difference is I'd actually be happy with her instead of living a lie."

He took my hand and I sighed. "I still can't believe she's gone."

"She was a nice girl. She deserved more in life."

I didn't say anything. What was there to say? There was nothing that could change the past and bring her back so there was no point in dwelling on it. All I could do was remember the good times and try not to regret any of it.

"I love you Fovvs." He spoke, kissing me on the back of my hand. I blushed but let him continue, knowing he had more to say.

"We've been through so much together and although neither of us expected things to end up like this, I'm glad they did. This life wouldn't be worth living if I didn't have you by my side."

There had always been another side to Rye that only I ever got the pleasure of seeing. It was the side of him he saved for me, even before we fell in love. He'd always put be first before anyone else, as his best friend to begin with. But it's only become more intense since we got together.

"I love you so much Bee. Thank you for everything you've done for me."

He let out a soft chuckle and I gave him a confused look. "What?"

"Just can't believe we're here."

"Why not?"

"Well, you're not meant to fall for your best friend, are you?"

I thought back to everything that had happened over the past year. Sure, it was messy and full of misery, but that was a part of life. I'd made amazing friends and sadly lost some. It would've been so much easier if we never fell for each other. Things could've been different if I was straight. I understood why Rye found it quite bizarre that we'd ended up the way we had, because he had never expected to fall for a guy. He never planned to end up with a boy and it was obviously going to feel weird to him.

But as a thousand memories flashed through my mind, I couldn't help but smile. I'd learnt a lot over the past year and I'd discovered parts of myself I never knew existed. Rye might not have wanted things to work out this way, but I couldn't deny that it felt like destiny. I believed we were meant to be together. Sure, it would've been simpler and less painful if it never happened. But I couldn't bring myself to regret any of it.

We'd come a long way to get to where we were now, but it was a story only we could tell. It was a mess, but it was ours. I wouldn't have missed any of it for the world.

So with a content sigh and a kiss on his cheek, I leant into his hold, unable to keep the smile off my face as I answered his question.

"Says who?"

the end!