Chapter 1

It was the coldest night of the year ,Jack was sitting in his office, getting ready for tomorrow. With the help of the head of security team, he decides to review one last time the plans for tomorrow: " Seems right to me. All we have to do is escort Mrs. Kyle to the convention center. We'll have 3 armored vehicles, followed by our security truck. There should be 20+ armed men in there so it should be enough protection. Also shouldn't we have air support? Patch me to the boss I'll ask him if he... " He gets interrupted by a knock on the door.
" So, big day tomorrow. You're up to it?
"Of course boss, I was just checking up on the plan one last time and I meant to talk to you about our air support. Shouldn't we ha..."
"Jack, it's fine. You've been working hard for tomorrow. Go home. Get some rest or hang out with your girl, I don't know. Just stop being nervous. Everything will be fine son."
Jack never quite understood why he called him son. He is old after all and Jack is in his late twenties, but it was nice to have a father-like figure, considering he was an orphan." Maybe that's why? "he whispered. It was 9 o'clock when he decided to leave the office and just as he was entering his car, his phone rings:
" HEYY buddy, how's it goin'? Umm listen, about tomorrow, umm I don't think I'm gonna be able to help you. Something important came up. I'm really sorry."
"It's fine man. Thanks for letting me know"
Yeah, everything was fine. He wasn't important for tomorrow. Adam was just the driver for Mrs. Kyle
He drives back home to his wife. Too tired from work, he just waved at her before crashing onto the couch.
He woke up the next day feeling more tired than the night before. Nonetheless he was excited for today,
which gave him the motivation to get up and get ready. He wears his bulletproof vest under his shirt, puts his gun on the left side of his belt and exits his appartement.
At the office, everyone was busy getting ready.
"Let's move out!!" shouted David,then everybody headed towards their cars. Since Adam wasn't able to come, Jack was responsible for driving Mrs. Kyle
to the conference.
On their way to their destination, and just to fill the silence in the car, Ryder asks Sarah about the conference:
"So what's Titan about? Why is it so important?"
"Wow! David doesn't talk much about his projects does he?"
He keeps things pretty close to the chest. He doesn't give out too much information about his contracts.
"Well, all I can tell you is that Titan is a machine that can tell you your fut..."
But she couldn't finish her sentence as she was interrupted by the sound of an explosion. "We are under attack!!! II repeat WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!Requesting immediate assistan...". A second explosion happens. This time the car in front of them explodes, flipping in the air."Mrs. Kyle stay low we have to get you out of here alive", says Jack as he takes out his gun. Hostiles coming from everywhere, bullets coming from every direction. Everyone got out of their cars and started shooting at them, but they were outnumbered.
"Someone sold us out!!, yelled Jack, we have to get out of here!". He continues to fire at the others, providing cover for his team to escape only to get hit in the chest multiple times. Luckily the vest took the damage but it was useless to keep wearing it. He throws it to the ground and continues firing at them, killing one of them, while still hiding behind broken car doors. One after the other, his security team slowly starts dying, leaving him the only one left against this wave of enemies.He hears the sound of a bike coming straight towards him. As he sees it getting closer and closer to his position, he knew it was going to hit the door he was hiding behind, so he ducks away from it, just in time. He feels the wind of the bike hit his back as he falls on the ground . When he got up, he started charging at the mercenary on his bike, tackling him to the ground smashing his head onto the road. The fallen man got up, smiling, only to reveal the most disturbing thing Ryder has ever seen, his right side covered in flesh, his left side a bloody, metal-like endoskeleton with wires attached to his . Still terrified from the horror in front of his eyes, it only took Jack a couple of seconds to realise, that a blade penetrated his chest. He falls down on the floor, blood coming out of him and watching with terror as the mercenaries kidnap Mrs. Kyle: "No... I must help her, he whispered as he crawled to his gun. Suddenly, one of the attackers walks towards him. He picks up the gun, aims it at Jack and says:" You failed at your job" as he pulls the trigger. He wanted to remember his wife, something special to distract him from the horror he just witnessed, as it was the last thing he sees before his death.

---I know the chapter is small. Believe me the story will get better as it progresses. If you feel like it's incomplete at a certain point it's because I have other plans for you to know the backstory of each character. Hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it.
🌎__Welcome to the Ryder-verse__🌍
Appreciate your support by following me and voting for this book❤️