5: Getting To Know Each Other

I went and sat down across from the boys on a lounge chair and they took the couch. It was when I sat down that I realised fully what I had just gotten myself into and it wasn't going to be good. 

It's not like I don't want to tell them anything it's just that I have trust issues. To be fair anyone who had been through what I have wouldn't want to be spilling out all their deepest darkest secrets to literal strangers. 

Even though I have all of these negative thoughts running through my head I also understand that if I'm going to have to live with them we're gonna have to get to know each other. I decide to put on my best bored and nonchalant expression and wait for one of them to speak.

This time Elijah is first to speak, "Ok so who's gonna start you or us?"

I shrug and say, "I don't care you can ask me first if you want"

They all look at each other before Cormac speaks up first, "Where's your mom"

Well shit I thought maybe they would start off with something simple, like I don't know 'What's your favourite colour?'. I look over at them and the other boys are looking at Cormac with an expression that says 'What the actual fuck', so I'm guessing that they hadn't discussed asking that question and if they were gonna ask it definitely not quite as bluntly as Cormac did. 

I look at them with the same bored expression before replying, "dead. What about you guys where's your dad."

As I say that I look directly at Cormac who now looks slightly pissed as if he could ask about my mum but I can't ask about their dad, I mean what a fucking hypocrite.

I thought he would never reply but instead in a cold tone he says, "dead".

One of my biggest issues is I deal with emotions with humour. I personally don't see the problem with it but others tend to either get upset or uncomfortable. This is why instead of saying nothing or expressionist my condolences I simply say, "Well it looks like we have more in common than I thought, I have mommy issues and you all have daddy issues."

Alex, Leo and Benji start laughing whereas Elijah looks slightly pissed and Cormac is absolutely fuming before he shouts at me, "I DON'T HAVE DADDY ISSUES."

I try my best to hide my laughter as I don't want to aggravate him anymore than he already is and instead tell them to ask me another question as its now their turn.

This time they actually discuss the question and agree on what they are going to ask before Benji shyly speaks up, "Um we were wondering what exactly happened to your hand?"

I always forget people don't know about my hand because in NZ everyone just knew everything about me like I was a celebrity so I was confused for a minute before answering, "There was an accident when I was ten and I was left partially paralysed in my hand".

They all nod and most of them look slightly sad and sympathetic except for Cormac who is still fuming from when I suggested he dad daddy issues. I decide it's best to not ask him a question in the next round so instead I ask my next question to Alex and Leo, "How old were you two when you were adopted?"

I was really looking forward to asking this question because I knew that it would shock them all, and I was right, when I look over towards them, they all look utterly shocked especially Alex and Leo.

Leo is first to speak saying, "bu-but how did you even know.

Now I look pretty smug knowing that I was right considering I didn't know for a fact and had just assumed so I thought I better explain, "Well firstly Elijah, Cormac and Benji all look very similar and have brown hair and brown eyes which means it would be nearly impossible for you two to have blond hair and blue eyes when the other three don't have any of those features. Secondly Sara also has brown hair and brown eyes and even though I don't know what your dad looked like even if he had blonde hair and blue eyes the chances of you two having those features is very slim.