25: An Insufferable Asshole Part 2

"There's seriously more" Benji says in disbelief.

"Yep" I say tiredly as all I wanted to do was retreat to my bed and go back to none of them ever knowing anything.

"Surely it can't be as bad as that" Alex says wildly referring to what I just told them.

"I suppose you guys can be the judge of what you think is worse" I say as I begin to tell the story.

Flashback, six months after the crash.

"Dad the baby's crying" I say yawning as I look over at my Dad who looks like even more of a wreck than me. He hasn't showered in weeks, his hair is overgrown and the bags under his eyes are insanely prominent. 

Dad simply nods his head and gets up to get Isaac. It was only six pm but both of us were mere inches away from falling asleep. A baby is hard enough normally but it's even harder when the two people raising the baby are miserable. I try my best to play with him and make sure he sees me smile but some days it's just too hard to fake it.

He's beginning to look more and more like Mum and Carter and it's really starting to kill me inside. His eyes look so much like Carters now that it's hard to even look him in the eyes without hearing the sound of my bothers dying words to me. 

Dad comes back out after about 30 minutes looking even more tired then when he went in. I didn't even think that was possible. He plops down on the sofa next to me and I can tell he wants to say something. Ever since the accident we've sort of drifted apart a little. He feels guilty that he wasn't there and I feel like he doesn't understand what I went through. Which he doesn't.

"So I thought I'd run something by you" he said looking at me and trying his best to smile. I just nod at him to continue.

"Well I know how hard it is with all the publicity that the crash got" He says looking at me to see my reaction to which I just nod hoping he will get to the point, "Anyway my company has offered me a position in America and I think it would be good fresh start for all three of u-" He says before I cut him off.

"No" I say sternly.

"Charlotte come on it would be great for all of us. Aren't you sick of all the pity looks." He says pleading with me to understand.

"Of course I am Dad and trust me I get them even more then you because I was actually in the crash and lost the use of my arm" I say shaking my bandaged arm in his face, "I hate it here but at least I have a few friends that still treat me normally. If we move to America then I will have no one" I say emphasising 'no one' because as it is I only have a few good friends here and if I lose them then I will be all by myself and I'm afraid of the places my brain will go if I'm alone. 

"Charlotte please" Dad said looking at me with his tired eyes.

"I already told you it's Charlie now" I say getting up and storming out the house.

Dad followed, "Where are you going?" He said rushing up to me as walked towards the street.

"For a walk. Don't follow me" I say continuing walking.

"Charlotte it's going to be dark soon get back inside" He said sternly.

"I won't be long I'm just clearing my head" I say not stopping to look at him.

I could still hear him yelling my name as I made my way towards the park. If ever I needed to clear my head, the park is where I would go. It's my safe space. 

Once I arrived at the park I noticed I was practically the only one there. Perfect. I absolutely love it when I'm by myself in the park. It makes me feel as though it is my own massive backyard and I can do whatever I want without people watching me. I decided to just go for a walk around the track to clear my head.