19: Glitter Nails

I've always found the concept of birthdays kinda strange. It's like 'well done, this day 15 years ago your mum evicted you from her womb, now you get presents.' But hey, don't get me wrong I happily accept those presents. 

On my birthday I woke up around the normal time of 3am. Like every year I have to wait at at-least 3-4 hours before seeing anyone and opening my presents. It's quite good though, because it gives me time to get over the fact that Carter and mum aren't here. I always find that it's things like birthdays and Christmas where I especially miss them, because it's just a reminder that they are never coming back. 

Even though it's been over 4 years since they died it still doesn't fully feel real and I don't think it ever truly will. I decided it probably wasn't best to dwell and went out to the kitchen to get something to eat, as for some reason I was strangely hungry. 

When I got to the kitchen I was met by Elijahs smiling face and suddenly remembered that this year I wasn't going to have to wait to see someone as obviously he'd also be up.

"Happy birthday Charlie!" He exclaimed as he blew one of those stupid birthday horn things where the paper rolls out and it makes a horrendous screeching noise. 

"Jesus Lijah, you're gonna wake up the whole house with that thing" I said smiling as I approached him to notice a stack of pancakes with a candle in it.

"Oh right oops, here sit down" He said motioning to the seat by the pancakes. 

He lit the candle on the stack of pancakes as he said, "Ok, now I know that you will probably have a real cake or something later, but I just thought I'd be nice and make you pancakes because I knew you'd be up." He said as I tried to hide the massive smile on my face.

"Thanks, you really didn't have too." 

"Oh don't worry about it, now come on blow it out." He said waving his arm to show it wasn't a big deal.

I blew it out and Elijah began to clap. 

"Stop, you're seriously gonna wake someone up soon" I said clasping my hands around his big ones before he continued clapping.

"Oh shit, you're right." He said whispering as he took his hands out of mine so he could slap his forehead.

I shook my head laughing "You really shouldn't have done this Elijah, I don't deserve it. You are way to nice to me and i'm just miserable and act horrible to everyone." I say pushing the pancakes to him.

"Charlie you're not horrible and this was all Benji's idea because he didn't want you to wake up and not have anyone celebrate with you. If Benji thinks you deserve this then you definitely do. To be fair Benji sees the good in everyone" Elijah said laughing whilst shoving the pancakes back towards me.

"Well I'm glad I get to share my birthday with him this year." I said smiling and beginning to eat my pancakes, which were actually really damn good. 

"Well it took a lot of convincing for him not to set his alarm for 3am so he could celebrate with us" Elijah said as he grabbed a fork and began digging into my pancakes.

"God, he seriously is the nicest human being to exist." 

"Yeah he makes everyone else look like an asshole by default" Elijah said speaking with his mouth full.

"Haha, well thank you so much for the pancakes but you can have the rest, I think i'm done" I say pushing the plate closer to him.

"Oh come on Char, you only had like one" he said exclaiming as syrup ran down his chin.

I grinned, "Yeah, well my stomach is really small so I can't eat much. Plus I'd rather you have them" 

"Suit yourself, why don't you go find a movie for us to watch and I'll come when I'm done" He said as he continued eating like his life depended on it.