Secrets

First day back to school, you've got this. 

Well, I've got this. Jeeze, why was I thinking about myself in 3rd person, or is that 2nd person? I should probably ask someone, as a second year I should probably know something so middle school.... or elementary school? Oh it was going to be rough this year. 

The tall concrete and glass building came into view over the hill, Fukurodani High school. One of Tokyo's many powerhouse schools, at least in men's volleyball. 

The gym was tucked in behind the school, and I had about a minute to get there in time, too much thinking about my poor literature skills had slowed down my walking. I picked up the pace and broke out in a full sprint just to get there before our coach thought i was slacking. Not this year. 

"Glad you made it." Akinori  said, his gray hair pulled back with a thin black headband. I stuck out my tongue at him, 

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I teased, he rolled his eyes, I got alot of that from these guys, especially the other second years. Especially one other second year.. 

"Bokuto! Get your ass ready for practice!" Coach yelled, waving his clipboard at me. I nodded and headed into the locker room, my locker still marked with a stupid sticker of an owl that everyone thought looked like me. I didn't look like that. I mean, sure, we had the same hair or whatever, but that's it. 

I stripped off the sweatpants I'd worn over the cropped tights, knowing I was going to be rushing to get ready. I slipped the knee brace on and shoved my bag into the locker, 

"You're going to wrinkle your uniform that way." I froze, that monotone voice i hadn't heard all summer, at least not in person all summer. I turned and watched him finish tying his shoes, 

"You're back, i thought.." He cut me off by snapping his face up to look at me. 

"Well if I'm here it didn't happen did it?" He sighed, standing up and slipping his brace over his arm. 

Keiji Akaashi, the second year setter for our team. That's all he was to me. 

"Glad to have you, i don't imagine anyone else wants to set for me." I nervously laughed and rubbed the back of my head, 

"What makes you think i do?" He turned and walked onto the court. I was really going to have a hard time befriending him. If only he hated me a little less. 

Coach lined us up, telling us our practice games started next month. One month before we had to prove we could work as a functioning team. Functioning being the key word. 

"I want Bokuto, Akinori, Onaga, Sarukui, Haruki, and Akaashi on team A, team B I want.." I sighed, of course Akaashi was setting for me, well for us i wasn't the only one who could hit the ball on team A. I just always wanted to. 

"Sir, this is basically second years versus third years." Washio pointed out, The only second year on team B. 

"I need to see who is going to take our Captain's spot, he won't be here after the fall prefecture." Coach said, my chance was now. I wanted to be captain so badly, our current captain was amazing, I just think if he's going to lead us he should score more points. 

"Team A, Team B, we're doing two sets and then practicing our receives. Get together." He said and wandered over to the bench. 

"Aren't we getting any first years?" Onaga whined, 

"It's the first day, be patient." Akinori reminded us, "I'm sure they just haven't turned their papers in yet." 

Fair, I had waited til the deadline to hand mine in, even though I had come here to play volleyball.