New Assignments

Namjoon

We wasted no time in getting back to the post. Despite having their vacation cut short, the guys were in decent spirits.

We rolled in during the twilight hours of the morning, not surprised to see only a night watch crew awake. They greeted us with surprise and excitement that we had come home earlier than originally planned, 

Too bad that excitement wouldn't last long. We had a battle to prepare for.

Once we got back to our offices, I asked Yoongi to escort Aster to my quarters. It would be more comfortable than where she had been housed before, plus I most likely wouldn't be using it for the duration of this nonsense.

However, as per usual, Aster wasn't in a compliant mood.

"No, please, Namjoon, let me help. Give me something to do."

I closed my eyes and dropped my head to my chest. I didn't want her to have a thing to worry about, but I should have known she would insist on being right in the middle of the fray.

"Aster, I don't want you getting stressed or hurt," I said.

She shook her head. "I need something to do or I might just go insane."

I glanced around at my fellow members and they all conveniently found other things to look at on the floors and walls, even Yoongi was staring at a speck on the ceiling. Traitors.

"Fine. Yoongi, take her to the survivor camps. Put her in touch with whoever has been in charge over there and tell them to put her to work in whatever capacity she wants."

Aster smiled too brightly for 6 a.m. in the morning, but it made me happy to see it.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

Once she and Yoongi left, the rest of us got down to business.

***

Narrative

"We received no communications that there had been threats to the post since we left," said Jin.

"If there had been trouble, we would have heard about it," echoed Taehyung.

Everyone was quiet; tired, but feeling the adrenaline in their system because of the impending chaos.

"I think they were honestly waiting for us to come back. They probably didn't want to waste resources and energy on pointless skirmishes if they had a bigger plan in mind," said Namjoon, the pen in his fingers tapping on the desk.

"I've been able to access some satellites Li had kept going. There's an encampment just on the other side of the mountain range." Jungkook never looked up from his tablet, the glow of the screen reflecting back on his frowning face.

"How big?"

Jungkook looked up at Namjoon. "Big enough."

"So we're up against a large pack of...hybrids? Naturals?" Taehyung was sounding more agitated.

"Not sure, exactly. But I think you and Hoseok need to go find out."

Taehyung looked at Namjoon and nodded.

"Well, Tae, I think that's our cue. Why delay?" Hoseok sprung up from his seat, always full of energy no matter what time of day.

"Fine," groaned Taehyung.

Namjoon watched them leave, smiling to himself as they did. Those two were the best reconnaissance officers in the entire post. They knew how to stay out of sight, out of earshot, and downwind.