The Big Question

Namjoon

Aster was overly excited the next morning. She was practically bouncing in her seat at breakfast, causing everyone to eye her with suspicion, and me with something akin to admiration.

Thankfully, no one brought up anything they might be thinking and the conversation stayed sane and relatively safe.

But I knew Aster had one goal in mind. Finish breakfast, then talk to Maggie.

It made me smile to see how excited she was to talk to the little kitten. When we had come out of our rooms that morning, the first thing she said was "After breakfast, right?"

I laughed then and the memory still made me want to laugh. Somehow that little kitten had worked her way right into Aster's heart. Seeing them together always made me feel happy. Aster would make a great mother someday.

"Finished!" she announced. "Now? Can we go now?"

I looked with sadness at the barely touched plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. It was one of my personal favorites. "Can I finish eating first?"

She pouted, but sat back down, folding her arms on top of the table.

"Aster, what's the rush?" Hoseok dabbed at the corners of his mouth with his napkin.

"I'm supposed to call and check on Maggie." Her eyes lit up when she said Maggie's name.

"Really? Can I say hello too?" Taehyung asked.

Aster smiled brightly and nodded. "I'm sure she'd love to say hello to her favorite playmate."

Taehyung was satisfied with her answer, chomping down on another bite of scrambled eggs.

I made quick work of the rest of my breakfast and stood to my feet. "Okay, Aster, let's go!"

She did not have to be told twice, bouncing up off her seat and promising Jin she would help clean up after dinner tonight instead.

I sat down on the couch in the common room, the room with the best light, and made myself comfortable. Aster was right behind me, sitting down next to me, smoothing down her hair and making sure her clothing was straight.

Seeing her so excited made me happy and a tad jealous. Had she ever been this way before seeing me? I laughed to myself and pushed the toxic thoughts away. Seriously, Joon? You're jealous of a kid? Good grief.

I snuggled her closer and opened my palm, the palm com screen flickering up off my palm. I sent Joo Hyuk a message and soon his long ears popped up on the holographic screen.

"General!"

"Joo, how are things there?"

"Good. It's been quiet since you left. We've been doing clean up and keeping the kids on their schedules as much as possible."

"That's good. Hey, is Maggie around? Aster wants to say hello to her."

Aster kept nudging closer to me and leaning closer to my palm com. This new side of her was making me want to giggle. It was so cute.

"Of course! Let me go to the main room. She was sitting in one of the rockers earlier."

We watched as Joo Hyuk walked a bit then opened a door and closed it behind him. Finally, he entered what must be the main room because the noise level went way up.

"Hey, Maggie!" he said softly, leaning down. Soon he was standing back up with Maggie in his arms, leaning close to his open hand.

"Joonie?"