False Security

Narrative

"What's the ruckus all about?" Anthony woke from sleep and staggered out of his tent to see men rushing towards the kennels.

He grabbed a low-level hybrid that was running by him. "What's going on?"

The dog hybrid's eyes rolled over towards Anthony and he was shivering. "The dogs...they've gone rabid."

Anthony dropped the man's arm and stalked towards the kennels. When he arrived he saw a horrific scene. Several of the dogs lay dead, killed by their pack mates. The ones standing were foaming at the mouth.

Woo Young rushed up to Anthony and gave his report. "Ten dead. The rest have gone rabid. From what we've been able to identify in the dark, they've been bitten by bats. We found several bars dead in the pens."

"Bats?"

"Yes."

Anthony's teeth ground together and his hands balled up into fists. This was too much of a coincidence to be a fluke of nature. He knew who was behind this. He didn't mourn the loss of the dogs, but the fact that he had just lost part of his arsenal. "Rouse the men. We attack now."

"But we don't have the dogs now. Are you sure?"

"Who said we don't have the dogs? Get a rope over their heads. We'll just return the gift that was given to us." Anthony smirked and the shadows from a nearby fire cast his face in an eerie glow.

***

Namjoon

I was awakened by Jin rushing into my room, shouting about the post being under attack and then running back out. I groaned and shot up out of the bed.

I thought it would surely take the rogues longer to regroup after Jimin's experiment, but apparently I thought wrong.

I charged out of my room and men were running down the hallways, weapons in hand. I saw Jin and we hurried outside to see several rabid dogs having standoffs with some of our men.

"What happened?" I growled.

"Our scouts say that the rogue group is waiting just at the top of the hill outside the post. Seems like they turned these guys loose right outside the gate. The two guards at the gate are dead."

I frowned and ordered my men to shoot the suffering animals. I sent a message to Yoongi, via my palm com, and told him to secure the entry ways of the bunkers because we were under attack.

The camp was quiet again as the snarling of the dogs had ceased.

"Was that all of them?"

"I'm receiving reports now. Looks like there were about ten dogs spotted in the camp and all ten are now dead."

"Good. Everyone get to your positions. The rogues will be coming before we know it."

"I think my little present was just re-gifted," said Jimin with a frown. He walked towards me, weapon in hand.

I nodded and liked towards the ridge where the rogues were standing in a line. Reminded me a little of some of the old American westerns Li had allowed us to watch as kids.

The group was close enough to be seen, but no one was wasting precious ammo on a target that far away.

"All survivors are underground and sealed." Taehyung ran up behind me, blue eyes looking gray in the darkness.

"Aster?" I had to know.

"Affirmative."

Hoseok and Jungkook arrived and we gathered into a small huddle. I looked into each of their faces, the moonlight dancing off of them.