The Ever Present Chaos

Namjoon

I was struggling with brain fog. It was embarrassing to me as a soldier, but I hadn't slept in almost two days. Everything was wearing on me.

I slumped down into my chair and leaned back, closing my eyes for just a moment.

"Joon, go get some sleep. I'll hold down the fort for a few hours. We can switch off if need be. And I'll wake you up if something happens."

Jin's voice seemed like it was coming from the bottom of a water-filled barrel.

"Huh?" I grunted.

I felt two hands on my face and my eyes shot open, only to immediately close halfway again.

"Get. Some. Sleep." Jin held my face in his hands and stared into my eyes, emphasizing every word he said.

"I just need five minutes."

"No, more like five hours. Go back to your quarters. Get some rest."

I felt my chair turn away from the desk and two arms lift me up into a standing position. I couldn't remember a time I had been this exhausted.

"Jin," I whined. So embarrassing.

"You're whining. You do this every time you get super tired. C'mon, let's go."

I shrugged off his hands and frowned. How was he still so alert when I was scraping the bottom of the energy barrel?

Whatever. He could be a masochist if he wanted. I was no good to anyone being so tired.

I somehow managed to stagger to my room after Jin turned me in the right direction. I opened the door to the familiar surroundings and it was dark inside. Just the way I liked it.

Sitting down on the corner chair, I fumbled with my boots before kicking them off. I could already feel my bed calling to me.

It was going to feel absolutely divine.

I sat down on the mattress, groaning and stretching a bit before I crumpled  down.

I settled down into the blankets and rolled towards the inside.

It was at that moment I realized something I should have realized much sooner.

I wasn't alone.

***

Aster

I heard a couple of thuds on the floor but I ignored it. I was still half asleep and it could have been anything.

But as soon as I felt the mattress sink on one side, I completely woke up and a cold chill set in.

I froze when I heard the grunting and groaning. That sounded an awful lot like Namjoon. But he was in planning and strategy meetings, right? Not coming to his quarters. Yoongi assured me!

But yet here he was, staring me in the eye in the dimly lit room.

I was frozen in place. No sound was coming out of my mouth. I barely blinked.

"Why are you in my bed?" he said calmly. His green eyes searched mine and looked droopy and tired.

"Yoongi said he wanted me to rest and you wouldn't be back for a while." I found myself yawning.

"I thought you were supposed to be with Yoongi in the bunker."

We were both speaking softly and at that level, Namjoon's voice was almost hypnotizing.