Chapter 11 - Aliya

"Good morning, ma" I said as soon as I walked into the General Manager's office. She was sipping her coffee just like yesterday, but with a donut in her table today. Does she even used to eat at home before coming? I wondered. 

"Morning, Aliya" She said dropping the coffee. "You came a bit early than I thought, so nice!" 

"Hmm, thanks ma" I smiled. If only she knew the secret behind my coming early, I actually didn't intend to leave home at such hour but Hajiya persuaded me to – that's why, if not...

"Sit down please" The woman said.

"Alright, ma" I nodded and gently walked over to one of the visitors swivel chairs facing her. Hence I pulled it back and sat in it amicably.

"Here is your I.D" She said as she extended a stiff plastic card to me. "And here is your pass card" She handed it to me as well and continued. "The first card is for verification and the second one is for accessing your office door and other doors limited to your jurisdiction. If you electronically lock your door, nobody can open it without your pass card. But if your door isn't electronically locked then one push can open it, just like you did when I asked you to come in earlier" She sipped her coffee and continued. "Electronic lock can be done dragging the green icon in your door's security panel to the red section. Let me demonstrate here, come please..."

"Okay ma" I said as we both withdrew from our chairs and headed to the door. Thus, she explained everything to me and after that she asked me to follow her – that she would take me to my own office. That moment, I found myself smiling without even knowing why. I thought I disliked the job, so why then was I smiling? I mulled over while trailing her. We headed to the elevator and then to floor 10.

"This is the office of Jibril, the Construction Manager!" She said pointing at the office in front of us — it was the first in the hallway.

"Nice" I commented.

"Albeit, he's not nice" She said.

"Why isn't he nice?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Hmm, one day you will know" She uttered. I didn't want to disturb her so I kept shut as we walked past the offices in the hallway. As soon as we were by my office, she asked me to open it without using my card which I tried but it didn't open. "You see..." She smiled. "That was what I was telling you, now use the card and see – just slide it in there..." She said pointing at the spot. And when I did, the door opened. "That's so great, Aliya!" She clapped for me.

"Thank you, ma" I coyly said.

"You are welcome" She uttered, after that we headed into my office and to say I was amazed is an understatement. The office was as big as hers and there was a system and some appliances on my desk. Also, a swivel chair for me and two for my visitors. And lest I forget, there was also a bookshelf loaded with books for me which I presently could not give you more details about. The books could be any type of books you know – novels, theories... "Here is your bathroom, in case nature calls" She added as she pointed at a door. Thus, she began explaining things to me about my work until she was finally done. "Come, let me show you around" She gestured to me to follow her as she quickly headed towards the door.

"Okay ma" I uttered, trailing her.

And that was how I got to know the key people in the department which include the Media Director, Mr. Silvanus Peter, his Assistant, Mall. Jabir Alfa, and others. Each of them was very welcoming and I really appreciated the kindness they showed me. "We hope to work with you just like we did with the former PRO, he was a hardworking man and had retired peacefully last month" One of them had said.

"In Shaa Allah, I will try my best" I had said.

"Good!" He had said and wished me luck.

After the introduction, the General Manager escorted me to my office before returning back to hers. Somehow, I felt like I got twice the honour I expected. In my Appointment Letter my salary was written boldly in figure as One-hundred and forty five thousand naira, which obviously was okay for me as of now. I mean, which government work would even give a new employee this kind of money?

While going through the booklet in my table which inheld my duties, I stumbled across a line that stated I would be working with the CEO to develop talking points for his interviews, polishing his answers, as well as getting him camera-ready... which means Bilal and I would be meeting frequently! Like seriously? I read the line again but the words didn't change, they were still as clearly as they were written. Hmm, I heaved a sigh wondering how I would go about it because working with Bilal was the last thing in my mind...

Ring!

Ring!!

Ring!!!

The telephone in my desk began ringing, and without wasting much time I picked the call up. "Hello" I said wondering whom it could be.

"Hi it's me, Silvanus. The..."

"Media director?" I completed.

"Yes, hmm" He huffed and continued. "I just called to tell you to turn on your computer, I sent an email into the system and I would like you to check it. It's an announcement to the public about our new dam project, please make sure you publicise it in all our media handles. The passwords are in your booklet, same as the usernames and I.Ds. We are on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Hurry up"

"Okay sir" I said and then dropped the call.

Thank God I was also a computer literate. I turned on the computer and just then a notification came up telling me I had a mail, which means the computer was somehow connected to a WiFi or wire network because I didn't see any modem connected to it. And by the way, modems needs to be activated first meanwhile I didn't activate anything before the mail arrived. But wait a second, I think it's a WiFi! I smiled the moment my eyes landed on its icon. Thus, I clicked it and found out it was connected to BLD Hostpot. Wow, I giggled imagining how I would be misusing the WiFi with my phone. Of course, everyone wants free things! I sighed smiling mischievously.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sorry for the late update, it's all about the Eid preparation – you know. May Allah spare our lives to witness it in abundant health. Ameen.

I sincerely love you all💖