Chapter 2

Today I start my first classes. I spend all yesterday unpacking and getting to know my roommate. She seems very nice, so that's at least a relief. Her name is Emily and she's from Arizona. We have plans to explore the enormous campus together this weekend together.

As I make my way towards my first class, I stop by a small coffee shop. I need coffee to get myself going. I'm honestly useless without it.

I'm one of the first people in the classroom when I arrive. The professor is sitting on a chair at the front, just waiting for people to arrive.

*****

It's 3 PM and I am towards my last class of the day. I will say, college is definitely different from high school, but I like it. It's not as scary as I had imagined.

I get situated close to the hall about halfway down, so I'm sitting in the middle of the classroom. This way I won't attract too much attention to myself, but I can also listen and participate in the lection.

People scurry inside and find a place to sit.

Soon there are only 4 seats left. 2 at the front, 1 at the back corner beside some nasty guy, and 1 beside me. Almost everybody came in pairs, so they didn't wanna you know split up. That's why there are only single seats left. This is a high-level class, so that's probably why everybody knows each other. Because they aren't freshmen.

Anyways, 2 minutes into class the door swings open. A tall, lean boy with dark-brown hair, eyes so dark that they're almost black, and with a long scar from his eyebrow down to his chin walks in.

Holy moly! He looks scary to say at least.

The teacher only spares him a glance before sighing, "Take a seat, Dimitri."

Dimitri... interesting name. It doesn't sound American.

Dimitri scans the room for free seats. First, he looks at the front rows but quickly scurries on to the creepy guy in the corner. Guess it's not there either. Wait, then there's only one seat left and that's beside me. Shit, shit, shit. His eyes land on me and he gives me a once over. I guess he's satisfied because he makes his way towards me and sits in the seat next to mine. I've never had a guy sit this close to me. I guess there wasn't much of a choice, but it still makes me nervous. He gets himself comfortable in the chair, but he doesn't say anything or introduce himself. Rude.

Some minutes into the lecture, I can hear Dimitri ask someone for a pen, as I start to take notes.

"Did you hear me?" he says again, but this time I notice an accent in his voice. Is that- is that a Russian accent?

"I asked you a question," he says yet again, but this time he nudges me. Oh no, he nudged me. Was he asking me for a pen?

"I'm sorry. Is it me you were talking to?" I ask him. My voice is teeny weeny. I feel very intimidated by his whole demeanor.

"Yes, I was talking to you. Are you deaf or something? I asked you if I could borrow a pen," he scuffs, but with annoyance in his voice.

I'm offended about the deaf comment and the rude attitude.

"I didn't think you were talking to me, and yes, you can borrow a pen," I say as I open my bag to find a pen for him.

I hold the pen out for him, before saying, "And I don't appreciate the comment about deafness, thank you very much." Now I was the one annoyed.

He grunts but takes the pen anyways. God, he is rude. I'm definitely going to make sure, that I don't sit next to him tomorrow. I definitely don't like this boy, but at least I can just pretend he's not here. It is a big campus, after all, it's not like I'm going to see him everywhere. But then again, I guess he is better than a creepy guy in the corner.