Chapter 9: Awkward

I wake Jessica up for school, and make sure she brushes her teeth.

"When you come downstairs, you've got to be quiet, ok?"

"Why?" Jessica lowers her eyebrows.

"Because Vanessa is asleep in the living room."

"Why is she sleeping there, and not in her bed?"

"She fell asleep on the sofa."

"But why-"

"Jessie." I sigh. "Hurry up, and clean your teeth please."

She moans a little, but does as she's told, and I go downstairs to make her breakfast.

I look in the living room, before going to the kitchen. Vanessa is still sleeping, but has changed position. She's laying on her back, with her arm draped over her eyes, and her leg is just hanging off the sofa. I don't know why I'm checking in on her? I look away, and go to the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Jessica walks in to the kitchen, and sits down at the table. I pour her out a bowl of cereal, and place it in front of her.

"Why isn't Ness taking me to school?" She asks.

"Because I'm not at work today."

"Oh." She says, eating a spoonful of her cereal. "But what about my hair? Can she still braid it for me?"

"No. I told you she's sleeping, Jess."

"Oh." She looks down at her cereal.

I give her a look, and then smile.

"You've got me to do it instead today."

Even though I'm no good at it... Jessica keeps quiet, and finishes her cereal. I guess she prefers Vanessa to do her hair now. I pack her lunchbox away in her backpack, and go see if she has got her shoes on, but she isn't by the stairs. She better not be in the living room.

I walk to the living room, and there she is, standing by Vanessa. I lower my eyebrows, and shake my head. I walk over to Jess, and take hold of her hand.

"What are you doing in here?" I say, quietly, leading her out of the living room.

"I wanted to see if Ness was awake."

"Well she isn't. I told you to be quiet, didn't I?"

"I was! I didn't wake her."

I sigh, and open the front door.

"Get your butt in the car."

Jessica giggles, and runs over to the car.

*Vanessa's POV*

I slowly wake up, and take a big stretch. I look around the room, and then remember I fell asleep on the sofa last night. I don't even remember watching the beginning of the movie, so I must have fallen asleep within seconds. I slept well though. This sofa is pretty much like a double bed! I sit up, and look down at the blanket that's over me. I didn't bring a blanket down with me last night? Michael must have put this over me, which was really nice of him.

I pick up my phone, and check the time. It's almost 10am. I stand up, and fold up the blanket. I walk around, to see if Michael is home, but can't see him down here, so I make my way upstairs.

"Michael?" I call out, looking over at his office door.

No answer. He must still be out, doing something. I look at the bathroom, and think about having a soak. I haven't used the bath tub yet. I put the blanket in my room, and go run myself a bath. I add some bubbles, but not as many as I put in Jessica's bath. That girl would have the whole bottle if she could!