Chapter 12: Hard Times

Michael has been completely different with me this week. He's been making much more of an effort to talk to me, and he's tried to be nicer, but it's still a bit awkward between us. I can tell when he's in a mood, but he's tried to not take it out on me as much. Now and again he's a bit snappy, but I can see a slight change in him since our argument. I really thought I was fired after everything I said to him, but I don't think what I said bothered him that much because he knows what he's like. I feel better knowing we have spoken about it because now it's out in the open, and he realizes how he's made me feel. It just makes it a bit easier living here.

Tonight I'm supposed to be going out with Jack and Jenny. Michael is working today, but he'll be home by the time I go out, and surprisingly, he said he doesn't mind.

****

I take a sip of wine, before going back to my makeup. I've done my eyeshadow, I'm just trying to do my eyeliner carefully, so I don't fuck it all up. I never usually wear a lot of makeup, but when I go out with friends I enjoy putting a bit more on.

From my mirror, I see my bedroom door open. I look back, and see Jessica's cheeky smile.

"You're supposed to be in bed." I raise my eyebrows, and smile.

She giggles, and runs over to my bed, jumping up on it.

"Your dad won't be happy if he knows you're up." I raise an eyebrow.

"Shhh." She says, putting her finger to her lips.

I laugh softly, and shake my head, before going back to my eyeliner.

"You look beautiful." Jessica smiles, as she watches me do my makeup.

"Aww, thanks Jessie." I smile, and look over at her. "But the only beautiful one in this room is you."

"We're both beautiful." She says, now jumping off the bed.

I laugh softly, and watch her walk closer to me as she looks at my eye makeup.

"I like the flicks on your eyes." She says, doing a little flick with her finger on her eyelid.

"My eyeliner?" I smile.

She nods.

"Can you put makeup on me?" She asks.

"I can." I nod. "But, not tonight because you're supposed to be asleep." I smirk, and pick up my glass of wine.

"What's that?" She asks, looking at the wine.

"This is for adults."

"Can I try some?"

"No." I chuckle. "When you're much older you can."

She makes a face, and sits on the edge of my bed, watching me. I start applying red lipstick, and glance over at her. She's so intrigued by all of the makeup I'm using, it's cute.

"Do you want to try on some lipstick?"

"Yeah!" She smiles, and quickly walks up to me.

I smile, and lift the lipstick up to her lips.

"Do this." I say, pouting out my lips.

She giggles, and copies me. I apply it carefully, and then tuck her hair behind her ears when I've finished.

"There. You look so pretty." I smile.

She looks in the mirror at herself, and smiles widely.

"Red is a good colour on you." I raise my eyebrows.

"I love it!" She says excitedly.

"Well, I'll give you a proper makeover soon." I smile.

"Can you do my eyes like yours?"