Chapter 39: A Change Of Heart

1 WEEK LATER

"How have you been since the accident?" I ask Jack.

"Apart from feeling a bit paranoid when I'm in a car, I've been fine."

"Mmm..." I frown.

"What about you? How's your neck now?"

"Fine." I show a little smile. "Everything is back to normal now. Michael's back at work, and I'm back looking after Jessie."

"I made out my neck was worse than it was and got I extra time off work." Jack smirks. "But, I'm back in tomorrow."

I give him a look and chuckle.

"You sound disappointed." He raises his eyebrows.

"What do you mean?"

"When you said everything is back to normal. You miss Michael looking after you?" He smirks.

"Ugh, no Jack." I roll my eyes and smile.

I just liked it when Michael was working from home because I got to see more of him... now he's back at work I've barely seen him. He's been extra busy this week too...

I feel like me and him need to talk.

We tend to have sex, and then go days without seeing or speaking to each other. We sleep together and he says such nice things to me, and then that's it; we don't talk properly afterwards. It's not just sex to me any more, and I have a feeling it's not just sex for him either, but we need to clear the air. I don't want to keep doing this because every day I'm falling more in love with him, and it's scary.

"Oh my God, I just remembered something..." He widens his eyes.

"What?"

He frowns and seals his lips together.

"I'm not sure you're going to like this, or how you'll feel about this... but, you're my friend Ness, and I don't want you getting heartbroken..."

"Heartbroken? What the hell are you talking about?"

"Michael..." He frowns.

I give him a look.

"You're not making any sense. Why-"

"I know you like him Vanessa. I'm not stupid."

I roll my eyes.

"Can you just tell me what you're talking about because I'm confused." I sigh.

He takes a deep breath and starts scrolling through his phone.

"Jenny sent me this a couple days ago." He hands me his phone.

I lower my eyebrows and take it from him.

"You know how Jenny's desperate ass is sighed up to like, every dating site possible? Well, she came across Michael's profile and screenshotted it."

I take a deep breath, staring down at the screenshot. Janet picked a really good profile picture. He looks hot. I smile slowly and hand Jack back his phone.

"I already know."

"What?" Jack makes a face. "And you're ok with that? Ness, you're having sex with the guy, and he's out there hooking up with other girls!"

"No, it's not like that." I shake my head. "Michael's sister made him that account a long time ago."

"Uh, excuse me?" He pulls a face and laughs. "That's weird."

"She was just trying to help Michael get back out there on the dating scene. After Michael's wife passed away he became obsessed with work, and his sister thought it would be good for him to meet other people... to try and live his life again I guess."