Chapter 35: Thanks, But No Thanks

I stare at the text I sent Vanessa and sigh. I told her I'm outside, but she hasn't responded. I said I'd be here for 6... it's now 10 minutes past.

I look over at her moms house and wait a few more minutes

I look over at her moms house and wait a few more minutes. What is she doing? I sigh and dial her number, putting the phone to my ear. It rings and rings... no answer. What the hell? I'm not waiting around any longer. She knows I'm supposed to be picking her up. I get out of the car and walk up to the front door. I knock firmly and look back at my car. This neighbourhood looks rough.. hopefully my car will be ok.

The door opens and I'm greeted by a lady who looks like she's in her forties. I notice the navy healthcare tunic shes wearing. She must be the carer.

"Hi." She smiles, but looks curious as to who I am.

"Hi..." I show a little smile as I rub the back of my neck. "Uh, I'm here for Vanessa. I'm supposed to be picking her up."

"Oh, she didn't mention anything." She lowers her eyebrows.

"I tried calling ber, but she's not answering."

"Come in." The lady smiles and steps aside. "I think she's in the bathroom. I'll let her know you're here."

It's not really necessary for me to come in, but I smile politely and walk inside.

"Sorry, your name is?" She asks.

"Michael."

"I'll go see where she is." She smiles and walks off.

I look around at my surroundings and slowly walk further inside. I look to my right and see a small TV in the corner of the room.

"Who are you?!"

I jump hearing a loud, worried voice, and turn my head to see a thin, frail lady looking scared, sat on a small sofa. She has short, messy dark hair, and I notice her hands are shaking. She looks ill.

"I'm Michael... Uh, Vanessa works for me and I'm meant to be picking her up."

"What?" She gives me a look.

She sounds like she's struggling to breathe.

"Vanessa! Tina!" She shouts and then starts coughing.

She looks like she's in distress. I hope she doesn't think I'm an intruder or something... I don't want to scare her.

"Vanessa didn't mention you." She shakes her head. "I thought she drove herself here?"

Seems like Vanessa hasn't told them what happened to her. I see Tina quickly walk back over and she gives me an apologetic smile.

"Sorry."

"It's ok." I shake my head.

I shouldn't be in here anyway. Tina walks over to Vanessa's mom to calm her down.