Chapter 32: One In A Million

"Where is Ness?" Jessica ask, eating a spoonful of fruit loops.

I walk around the kitchen, making Jessie's lunch for school.

"She's at her moms."

"She didn't come back last night?"

"No, she's not feeling well."

"Her mom?"

"No." I sigh. "Ness."

"What's wrong with Ness?" Jessica frowns.

"She's just not feeling well, so she stayed with her mom."

"Does she have a bad tummy, or a sore throat?"

I sigh and look over at her.

"All you need to know is that she's not feeling good right now, so when you see her later you need to be careful with her and not bother her too much, ok?"

"But, she needs someone to look after her if she's ill, like when you look after me when I'm feeling sick daddy."

I show a little smile.

"Yeah..."

"And you looked after mom when she was sick."

I turn around and go back to making her lunch. I don't like remembering them days, but all this with Ness is bringing the past back up... I clear my throat and pretend I didn't hear Jessie.

"Have you almost finished your cereal? We need to go soon."

"Mmhm." She nods, chewing away.

I grab her backpack and put away her lunch before making sure she's ready, and then we leave.

I park outside her school and turn to look at her, but see she's already looking at me.

"It will be ok dad."

I lower my eyebrows and smile slowly.

"What do you mean?"

"Ness will be ok." She smiles.

I laugh softly and stroke her head.

"Yeah, I know sweetie."

She said that as if she knows how I'm feeling... she must be able to tell I'm concerned about Ness.

"She will be ok, won't she?" Jessie asks, lowering her eyebrows with a concerned look.

"Yes baby, of course. You don't need to worry. You'll see her later." I say softly.

She shows a little smile and I kiss her cheek.

"Have a good day at school."

"Ok." She picks up her backpack and looks back at me as she opens the door. "Love you."

"I love you more."

I wait and watch her walk over to the entrance, until she disappears in to the school, and then I drive back home.

I can't help but think about how Jessie would have felt if Ness was really badly injured, or even worse, if she died... she would have been heartbroken, and I wouldn't want her to go through that hurt again... that hurt of losing someone, because she really cares about Ness. I don't want to ever go through that again either, so I'm glad, and very relieved that Ness is ok, but this is why I didn't want to get feelings...

*Vanessa's POV*

"Sure you're gonna be ok?" Jenny frowns.

"I'll be fine. I've got my medication, and all I need is rest. It's only whiplash, it's not like I'm missing a limb or something." I chuckle.