Chapter 28: Rejected

I'm having a lot of fun with Vanessa, but I'm drinking way too much. I haven't drank like this in a long time. The alcohol has made me feel a lot more relaxed around her, which is good because my heart was pounding when she came and stood next to me. She makes me nervous, but excited at the same time. I like being around her.

We've had the shots of Whiskey, and now she wants another shot of tequila! At this point I'm definitely feeling the effect of the alcohol, so I don't mind taking another shot.

"Ok, that's it." I make a face from sucking the lemon. "No more shots." I shake my head.

"Why?" She laughs. "Are you feeling drunk?"

"A bit..." I laugh.

"Lightweight." She smirks.

"I don't normally drink like this!"

She smiles and picks up her glass of wine. I take a sip of my JD and coke, and look down at her. She stares up at me, and I can see in her eyes she's also starting to feel the alcohol. Her cheeks are slightly pink too. She looks beautiful. I watch her lick her red ruby lips, before she takes a sip of her wine. It's getting really hot in here...

"You didn't tell me why you're here?" She smiles, tucking some hair behind her ear.

"The meeting went well, so Andy and Brad wanted to come for a drink; probably to celebrate me not firing them."

"You were going to fire them?!" She laughs.

"Yeah! I had enough of their bullshit, but the meeting went well, so they were lucky."

She giggles, and lowers her eyebrows.

"I'm still surprised you're here with them. I didn't think you liked the people you work with?"

"I don't." I raise my eyebrows and laugh. "I left them to come get myself a drink, and then you showed up."

"And made you drink tequila." She grins.

"Yeah." I give her a look and smile. "And I'd rather be with you, than sat with fucking idiots."

She raises her eyebrows, and gives me that look.

"You would?"

"I don't really have a choice. It's either drink on my own, or drink with you."

"Oh, thanks!" She scoffs.

"I'm joking." I laugh softly.

She smirks, and gives me a look.

"Well, I'm supposed to be getting Jack and Jenny a drink. They're probably wondering where I am." She sips her drink, and smiles. "But, I'm having a good time with you."

"Yeah?" I smirk.

"Yeah, aren't you?" She smiles slowly.

"I'm having a good time." I nod, and look her up and down.

"It's good to see you loosen up a bit. You're always busy being a consultant, or being a dad; you're never just Michael, are you?"

That's very true... I stare at her, and then look at my drink as I bring it to my lips.

"I could say the same about you." I say, before sipping my drink.

"Yeah..." She nods. "But, tonight I'm not a nanny, and I'm not a carer; I'm just Vanessa." She smiles.

I smile slowly. She's really making me see things so differently, and she's completely right in what she's saying. Tonight, I'm just being me, which I haven't done since Freya got ill and passed away... I haven't been myself in a long time, and I haven't felt like this in a long time either. I can just be Michael tonight, for a little while anyway.