7. firsts and lasts

"Estella, hold still!" Brooke orders me for the fifth time since she began the possibly impossible task of completing my Homecoming makeup look.

"It tickles!" I laugh as the fluffy brush in Brooke's hands swipe along my cheekbones.

"Okay, I'm all done." She sets the brush down on her vanity along with all of the other makeup she used on me.

I finally turn to look at myself in the well-lit mirror attached to Brooke's vanity. I look like myself, but better. My eyelashes look longer and darker thanks to the mascara Brooke used. My face has more color to it due to the blush and tiny bit of bronzer along my cheekbones. My lips look fuller than usual, the gloss giving them a shine that I'm not used to.

I've never worn makeup. Not once in my life have I ever placed a bit of mascara on my eyelashes or a coat of blush on my cheeks. I guess I never had a reason to. Plus, my mother never allowed it, and I always obeyed.

Until now.

"I love it," I whisper. "It's perfect."

Brooke smiles, rearranging my curled strands of hair so they frame my face perfectly.

"You look beautiful," she says. "You are going to rock Chris' socks off."

I laugh at Brooke's comment as I peel my eyes away from the mirror. I'm glad that I gave into allowing Brooke to put a little bit of makeup on my face.

Never have I ever felt so beautiful.

"I'm going to put my dress on."

I stand up from the chair, remembering that I'm still in an oversized t-shirt and a pair of black leggings.

I scurry to my room and quickly change into the dress I chose when I went shopping with Madison and Vanessa. I was beyond excited when I found the dress. It's the perfect representation of myself. When I tried it on in the fitting room, I knew it would be the one to wear to my first —and last— homecoming.

I didn't end up leaving the mall with a light blue dress like I thought I would. Instead, I picked up a silver dress that was tight on the upper half of my body and flared out on the bottom half. It still accentuates my figure without clinging to my each and every curve, which is exactly the look I was going for when searching.

 It still accentuates my figure without clinging to my each and every curve, which is exactly the look I was going for when searching

(picture of Estella's dress for reference)

I slip on my chunky white heels. They have a single horizontal strap across my toes, which were painted in white polish. I take one last look in the mirror before leaving to the school, where I'll have to meet up with him. Chris.

"Are you ready?" Brooke asks with a smile as I make my way down the stairs, the clicking of my heels reminding me of the mornings my mom would stomp around, rushing to get to work.

"I'm ready." I shrug.

"They grow up so fast." Brooke frowns.

I roll my eyes playfully, grabbing my clutch from the countertop and walking to the front door of the house, trying my best to make the least amount of noise possible with the annoying heels I'm wearing.