48. take notes

After my first shift at the bakery, I finally arrive at my house. I slow down once I spot an all-too familiar minivan parked in the driveway. The lights in the house are turned on, confirming my suspicions.

They're back.

I walk up the concrete pathway, grabbing my house key from the pocket of my thin sweater. Opening the door, I'm greeted by something I never would have expected.

Boxes.

Brown boxes. Everywhere.

Voices sound from the second floor. I look around, maneuvering my way through the mess of cardboard. I drop my backpack to the ground before trotting up the stairs.

The voices lead me to Brooke's room. I open the door, my eyes widening at the sight in front of me.

They all turn their heads to me. My mom, Matthew, Ansley, David, and even Avery.

"Where have you been?" My mom asks.

My eyes scan the room. Posters cover the walls, a desk sits in the corner, a half built bed in the center. I step inside, taking a look into the closet to find pink hangers, holding up color-coordinated clothes.

"What's— what's going on?" I ask her.

"Answer my question. It's already 8:00 and you're barely getting home."

"I was out," I reply curtly. "Now can you tell me what the hell you're doing?"

The kids stare at me like I've grown two heads. I glance at each of them before looking to my mom again expectantly.

"Can you all excuse us for a second?" My mom asks as she stands up from the floor.

I back out of the room, walking into mine instead. She follows after, slamming the door shut behind her. I cross my arms, waiting for her explanation.

"How dare you talk to me that way in front of my family?" She asks. I scoff at her choice of words. "You better keep that attitude in check, Estella. I mean it."

I shrug, smiling. "Or else what, Mom? You'll disown me?"

She raises her eyebrows. "They're moving in. We decided it a while ago—"

"And failed to mention it to me." I nod.

"Last time I checked, you didn't own this house," she says in a low voice, reminding me to keep mine at the same volume.

"Last time I checked, I was the only one actually living in it."

"Well you better check again."

I take a deep breath. "That's Brooke's room. You can't just— you can't just invite them to live here—"

"Are you really still bringing this up?" She asks with a humorless laugh. "She's gone, and you need to get over it."

"She's only gone because you drove her away!" I snap, pointing my index finger at her. "Just like you did with everyone else."

My words don't affect her from what I can tell. She takes a menacing step forward. I stand my ground, tired of cowering and crumbling at her feet— just by her words.

"It wasn't my doing, Estella," she says with a frown. "You did that all on your own. I've said this before, but I'll say it once more. You are a burden. Anyone in their right mind, including Brooke and your dad, would jump at the opportunity to be free... to get away."

I narrow my eyes, holding back tears that threaten to escape. Her hand comes up to stroke my hair, pushing a strand behind my ear. I look into her eyes, wondering where I went wrong. What I did wrong. I can never seem to figure it out.