33. you work out or something?

"I told you, I can't bake."

Vanessa crosses her arms, shrugging her shoulders as Madison glares at her. She holds a platter of burnt chocolate chip cookies in her hands, displaying them in front of me and Vanessa.

"I never said you had to bake from scratch, Ness!" Madison claps back. "All I told you was to bring chocolate chip cookies and Estella would bring sugar cookies. And then we would be set for the club fair."

I bite the inside of my cheek, glancing down to the table, where my two store-bought boxes of sugar cookies with purple frosting sit.

"Madison, at least she tried." I shrug, feeling Vanessa whip her head to look at me. "Either way, I think we're set with the two dozen sugar cookies on the table."

She sighs, setting the platter down as she comes around the table, which she decorated to perfection in order to fit the purple theme, and sits next to me.

I have no idea why Westwood emphasizes clubs so much. There was already a club fair at the beginning of the year, and now they are hosting another just in case more people want to join clubs of their interest.

"So we just sit here?" I ask them, looking around at all the students walking around the gym, searching for clubs that I guess they might've missed the first time around.

"Yes." Vanessa nods. "We sit and wait for people to show interest and then we make them sign up."

"We don't have to make them sign up."

Madison taps the sign-up sheet on her clipboard nervously. She reallly is passionate about being the president of this club. I appreciate how much she cares for it. Enough to ask me to help set up the booth and bring food to attract students.

"Well, this club is lame." Vanessa scoffs.

"Then why are you in it?" I ask her.

She shrugs. "Looks good on college apps."

I furrow my eyebrows, a part of me wanting to say something back. But I decide against it. I've learned that Vanessa naturally has a bad attitude, and it's best to ignore it and not give her any reaction.

"Women in STEM," Asher says as he walks up to the booth. "Tell me more."

Devin is beside him, a bored expression on her face. Behind them, Aaron stares down at his phone screen while eating chips from a mini bag of Doritos.

"Women in STEM," Vanessa replies curtly from beside Madison. "It's pretty self-explanatory, Asher."

He taps his chin, furrowing his eyebrows in thought. Then he shakes his head. "Mm, not convinced. Sorry. Estella, pitch me this club. A little better than she did, please."

He nods his head toward Vanessa, raising his eyebrows. A small smile tugs at my lips at her annoyed expression.

"Well, Women in STEM is a club that represents women's strength and intelligence," I begin. "We give lots of opportunities for women who want to go into any of the STEM fields. And through this club, members can meet others with the same interests as them and discuss those said interests."

He nods along, an amused smile on his face as I pitch Women in STEM. "Much better, thanks. I'll make sure to give it some thought."

"How about you, Devin? Do you think you'd be interested in joining?" Madison asks with hopeful eyes as she holds up her clipboard.

She shakes her head. "I'll pass. Sorry."

"She's not into anything fun." Asher shrugs, shaking his head. "She's Devin the Downer."