8. sun's out, buns out

"What about this one?" Brooke asks as she holds up a baby pink bikini from my closet.

I shake my head. "No way."

She sighs. "Estella, you're gonna have to wear one if you're going to a bonfire."

I groan, standing up from my bed to walk over to where Brooke is. I rummage through the bathing suits, searching for one that I would actually wear out of the comfort of the jacuzzi in my backyard.

My eyes land on an olive green two-piece, the top looking more like a sports bra than a bikini top. I grab it from the pile and show Brooke.

"There you go." She nods.

I walk over to my closet and change, putting on a pair of jean shorts and a thin black zip-up sweater on top, leaving it unzipped. Either way, it makes me feel a little more secure and a little less exposed.

"I had no idea this school would have so many events," I say as Brooke and I get into her car. "I'm not used to going out all the time."

She smiles. "This is good, Estella. I'm glad you're participating in all of the activities and stuff your school is hosting." She starts the car and backs out of the driveway. "Remember, you only live through your senior year once."

I nod in agreement. If I'm honest, I probably wouldn't be going to every hosted event if it weren't for the friends I've made so far. Both Madison and Vanessa attend every event, and they always ask if I'm going, too. When I respond with an I don't know yet, they tell me to think about it. It'll be fun, they say.

"So I'll pick you up at eight?" She asks and I nod in response. "I'll probably be with Jackson. You can give us all the juicy details on the ride back home."

I smile. "Okay."

Once we near the beach and drive down the coast for only about a minute, I spot my class. They're the biggest group of people on the shore, separated by smaller groups but still somewhat sticking together.

Brooke and I exchange goodbyes before I hop out of the car and walk over to the sand, feeling the warm surface on my feet as they sink into it every time I take a step. Today's a bit windy, but the sky is a nice blue with nothing in it but the bright sun shining down on the shore.

The first person I spot is Devin. She walks along the shoreline with Josh, a smile on her face as they stray further away from our class.

I then find Asher and Aaron with a big group of people sitting around a fire pit. None of them look like they're at the beach. Aaron's dressed in a pair of light wash jeans and a sweatshirt while Asher wears a pair of tan Dickies, a plain black t-shirt and a hat that he pulls off his head, smoothing out his wavy hair before he flips around so it's backwards, a new look for him.

I zip up my sweater before making my way over. The first person to see me is Aaron. He turns his head and waves me over even though I'm already walking up to the group.

"Hey." He smiles. "I didn't know you were coming."

"Why wouldn't she?" Asher asks as he joins in on the conversation, taking a sip of his water.

Aaron looks over to him and gives him a tight smile as he shrugs his shoulders.

"Sit with us." Asher cocks his head over to the logs surrounding the fire. I follow after them, taking a seat beside Aaron and warming up my hands with the fire in front of us.