55. new year, new me

"Happy New Year's Eve." I smile as Asher opens the door for me. "I brought props."

I hold up a brown bag filled with New Year photo booth props. I assumed people would end up getting drunk throughout the night and find themselves longing for pictures with silly New Years accessories.

"Your hair." He points.

"I cut it." I nod, running my free hand through it. "Well, not myself. But I went yesterday to get it cut at that salon down the street."

"You dyed it, too."

"Yeah. New year, new me, right?" I shrug. "Are you gonna let me in?"

He nods, gesturing for me to enter. I make my way to the kitchen, placing the bag onto the island before removing my jacket and placing it on one of the stools. Asher grabs it and holds it underneath one of his arms.

"Smaller party this time," I comment.

Although there are still a number of people at Asher's house, it is a considerably less amount than the guests who showed up for Aaron's birthday party. I look around, spotting Aaron and Devin sitting in the living room with a few others from their expanded group.

"Is everything okay?" Asher asks me.

"Why wouldn't everything be okay?"

"Is... I mean, is there a reason why you changed your hair or..."

I press my lips together. "I got layers and dyed it a couple of shades darker. It's not that big a deal, Asher," I explain. "I've had the same, boring haircut for my entire life and wanted to change it up, that's all. It's okay if you don't like it."

He furrows his eyebrows. "Why wouldn't I like it? It looks good on you, Estella."

"Thank you," I reply. "I'll be back, I have to use the bathroom."

I walk away, heading for the restroom. Shutting the bathroom door behind me, I lean against the vanity as I stare at my reflection.

The hairstylist did a great job with my hair. She even styled it with a blowout after dying it a dark brown, almost black. And then she cut it into layers, exactly like the picture I showed her.

I don't know how Asher knew, but I did have a reason for changing my hair. It's just easier to say there isn't.

I smooth my dress out. It's a baby blue v-neck with small white floral print all over. No clue where I got the confidence to leave my room, let alone my house, in this dress. But I'm glad I wore it.

"Estella! Hi!" Madison calls out once I'm out of the bathroom. I make my way over to her and Vanessa with a smile.

"Hey," I reply. "How've you guys been?"

"I've been great, you?" Madison responds with a smile. "I love your hair, by the way. And your dress, too."

"Thanks. I've been good, too."

My eyes travel to Vanessa, who holds a red cup in her hand. She gives me a smile before looking me up and down with an weird look in her eyes.

"Something wrong?" I ask her.

"Of course not." She smiles.

I nod slowly. "Okay, well I guess I'll see you guys later."

"See ya at school," Vanessa replies as I walk away.

The smile from my face drops as I make my way into the kitchen. I grab a red cup and get water from the fridge.

I turn back around and take a sip. As I bring the cup to my mouth, I spot Asher talking to the same girl that he talked to at Aaron's party. He flashes a toothy smile at something she says. Just as I'm about to look away, his eyes meet mine. I tilt my head as he subtly cocks his, gesturing for me to meet him over there.