52. bad influence, good influence

"This is torture," Asher complains. "I've watched you try to print this out for ten minutes now."

"Don't be dramatic," I mumble. "It's only been like, five minutes— if even that."

The student printer must be jammed. I've been trying to print my essay for English class for, as Asher said, the last ten minutes.

I click print once more. Turning my head toward the printer, I pump my arms in the air once I see a sheet of paper coming out of the printer.

"Did you do yours?" I ask Asher as I grab my essay and staple the papers together. "Please tell me you did."

"I did."

I give him an approving thumbs up. "I'd really like to witness you writing an essay. It seems like it'd be pretty entertaining, honestly. Do you brainstorm or just write it all at once?"

He narrows his eyes. "Fu—n. It was fun."

I smack his arm, realizing what he was going to say before he quickly rerouted his words. Swinging my backpack over my shoulder, I unzip it and place my report into my English folder.

"Estella!"

My name is called from behind me and Asher. We both turn to find Madison walking over to us with a Starbucks coffee in her hand.

"Hey, Madison."

"Hi," she replies. "So, I forgive you for bailing on the double date. Vanessa ended up going."

I smile awkwardly, seeing Asher turn his head to me in my peripheral vision. "Okay. Sorry... again."

I've already apologized multiple times about taking back my agreement to go on the double date with her and Austin. I didn't think she'd bring it up again.

She waves me off as she backs away. "Anyway, I'll see you in Physics. Bye, Asher."

She walks away, leaving me and Asher in the hall near the stairs.

"Double date?" He asks.

"Yeah, with Austin's friend from Texas. Max," I reply.

"Okay..."

His tone is one that tells me to continue. "And I was supposed to go on a double date with them, but I couldn't actually go through with it. Not after... well, you and me... you know. You were there."

"Right," he says as we walk down the stairs. "Did you... did you have a thing for Austin's friend from Texas?"

My eyes widen as I shake my head. "No, Madison asked me to come along because this whole stupid thing with the reservations and all that. I never even met him."

"Oh. Okay." He sounds relieved.

I bite the inside of my cheek. "You sound relieved."

He raises his eyebrows. "I don't know if relieved is the right word. After the other night, I'd say the chase is over." He smirks, inhaling deeply. "Unless... unless we're pretending it never happened cause I know—"

We make our way down the staircase. Asher's hand brushes against mine, but he never grabs it. Neither do I.

"No, no more pretending," I interrupt. "Unless you have a good reason why we should, I don't see why we would pretend like it didn't happen. Plus, I can't really pretend since I have this little reminder every time I look at myself in the mirror."