« Chapter 22 « Regret

"WHAT?! YOU'RE LEAVING THE VOLLEYBALL TEAM?! AFTER HOW MUCH PROGRESS WE'VE MADE AND HOW HIGH WE'VE GOTTEN?!"

"I-I'm sorry.. I don't have any more time to attend practices. I've been getting more shifts from my job than usual so, being on the team isn't going to do any more good."

"YOU DON'T KNOW THAT Y/N, YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE!"

"I'm sorry Yumi, it's going to be too much for me..." I start walking away from her as she runs up to me but she immediately got held back by one of our teammates.

"Let her go Yumi, respect her decision.." Our teammate says in defeat as Yumi tries to escape out of her grasp. 

"I guess I'll see you again one day?" I say, walking up to our coach.

"It was nice knowing you Y/N." He says with a assuring but sad smile, knowing I was leaving the team as he pat my shoulder. I smiled back and walked away, grabbing all my stuff.

"WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITHOUT A CAPTIAN LIKE LIKE YOU Y/N, PLEASE!" Yumi cried out as I turned around.

"You guys could always pick a new captian, its okay." I say with a sad smile. I open the door of the gym and step outside as I hear Yumi call my name. I didn't turn back and just left.

----------

Y/N's POV

I looked at her in shock. I never thought I would come across her. She handed the flyers to coach Ukai as I called out her name.

"Y-Yumi..?" I said in a shock as she looked at me, just as shocked as me. That shocked expression on her face immediatly turned into anger as she dropped the flyers and walked to me.

I try moving back but she managed to get to me before i got the change to move. She put her hands on my shoulders as she looked at me, dead in the eye.

"Is this actually you Y/N?" She asked as I looked at her confused.

"I mean, I called your name so its kind of obvious its m-"

"This is you, in a volleyball gym. A volleyball club." I finally realized what she was saying as I went quiet.

"You didn't even come back and visit us once in a while and just left us?" She said, still staring at me in the eye.

"You guys know eachoth-" Sugawara tried speaking as he got caught off by Yumi.

"I thought you didn't have time for volleyball huh? Isn't that the reason why you left?" She said sternly as everyone watched us, confused.

"That was 2 or 3 years ago Yumi... I get why you're angry and I'm sorry. I really wanted to visit but I couldn't"

"SHUT UP WITH YOUR STUPID EXCUSES Y/N" She yelled at me, causing me to flinch a bit.

"U-Uhm how about we all calm do-" Daichi reached for her shoulder to calm her down as she turned around and slapped him in the face as we gasped.

"Yumi what the hell?!" I exclaim. I go to Daichi as she grabs my arm and pulls me back, causing me to fall back on the ground.

"What the hell is your problem?!" Kageyama says behind her, angry. Sugawara went up to Daichi to see if he was okay as the others just watched in shock.

"Were you lying this whole time Y/N? Did you actually have time? Did you hate us?!"

"I told you what happened, I didn't have time! But that was 2 or 3 years ago or something. I would have visited or stayed if I had the time, I wouldn't lie about that Yumi." 

"Its because of you we went downhill." She told me.

"What?"

"WE WENT DOWNHILL BECAUSE OF YOU. IT. WAS. YOUR. FAULT." She picked me up from the ground by the collar of my shirt. Kageyama immediately ran up behind her, grabbing her wrist and pulling her back, letting go of me.

"LET GO OF ME!" She yelled as I looked at her. It looked exactly like how she was being held back before by our teammate.

"Kageyama let her go.." I say as he looked at me annoyed and confused.

"What, why." He asked

"Just let her go." I say as he let her go. She ran up to be and was about to grab me again as grabbed her wrist before she could lay a finger on me. I pushed her against the wall, trying to keep her as still as possible.

"Calm down Yumi. I understand why you're mad at me and I get it. I would have been mad if I was in your position and I'm sorry okay? You don't have to forgive me because I should have at least tried to make time or tell you guys earlier, but atleast calm down and know that I'm sorry and I regret it." I told her which calmed her down. She suddenly started tearing up as I stepped back and panicked.

"W-Wait don't cry!-"

"I'm sorry Y/N.. I didn't mean to snap at you.." Tears started flowing on her face as I looked concerned. I don't really know how to comfort people when they cry so I just panic.

Sugawara walks up to her and pats her back in comfort while giving a reassuring and warm smile.

"It's okay, having emotions like this is normal." He said, as he continued to pat her back.

"D-Don't be sorry Yumi, uhh be happy! Don't cry-" I give an awkward smile. I hear Kageyama sigh as he hit the back of my head.

"Do you not know how to comfort people?" He said as if he was done with me.

"Shut up, I don't know how to make people smile!" I say to him as Yumi walks up to me, throwing her body at me as she gave me a huge hug while crying. At first I didn't know what to do until I wrap my arms around her, tearing up a bit. 

I haven't received a hug from her in forever, ever since I left the team. I tighten the hug a bit as she finally let's go. 

"Don't cry okay! I don't like seeing people cry and I don't know how to handle it" I say as I chuckle as she nods, smiling. 

"I-I gotta go back, I'll see you later? Y/N?" She asks as I nod. She walked up to Daichi and apologized to him and picked up the flyers and dropped and left.

"You alright Y/N?" Asahi asks from the other side of the gym as I chuckle and nod.

"What happened between you 2 before?" Kageyama asks, patting my head.

"Just some stuff I regret.. but it's ok! I'll tell you later." I say as he nods. They all go back to the court and continue their practice 

----------

Practice ended for them as they all cleaned up and started heading home. I don't have work today so Kageyama decided to walk me home. When we arrived, he ruffled my hair and pecked my lips without warning which got me flustered. I blushed at the action as he waved goodbye and left. 

..........