Going in Circles

Harry and Louis walked back to Niall's house and were met with Olivia, Diana, Anna, Zayn, and Liam waiting in the driveway.

"What happened?" Harry jogged up to his friends.

"I don't know! One minute he was dancing with us and the next he was gone. He didn't even take his phone!" Olivia explained.

It was late and they could only hope he hadn't left the neighborhood.

Harry was trying to focus on the problem at hand, but he kept thinking back to moments ago with Louis.

"Let's just split up, yeah? Zayn, Liam, and I will go this way and you four can start walking that away." Olivia took charge of the situation and nobody felt like challenging her authority.

Harry, Louis, Diana, and Anna started walking down the street in the opposite direction of Louis' house. Anna was on the tipsier side and Diana seemed to feel uncomfortable around Harry now.

The two girls walked in front of them while Harry and Louis followed. Louis kept running his hand up and down Harry's spine as they stepped side by side.

Harry wasn't sure if he should go with it. It's not like Harry wanted to just jump back into things with Louis, but being with him just felt right.

He figured if nobody noticed the affectionate touches, it'd be okay for tonight.

They walked for what seemed like ages with no sign of Niall until they reached a cul-de-sac with a pink solo cup in one of the front lawns. "Look!" Harry picked up the disposed object. "These were at the party. He must have taken his drink with him." Harry felt comforted by the idea that they must be getting close.

"We're getting him a leash once we find him." Louis stared.

"Another person he can control," Diana whispered to Anna and Harry heard it loud and clear. He didn't know what to make of the comment, he just hoped Louis hadn't heard.

"Excuse me, love." Of course. "You got something to say, sunshine?" Louis had a way of confronting people that had Harry tensing up.

"No, I have nothing to say to you, Louis." Harry had never seen Diana be so bold and assertive.

"That's what I thought." Harry froze as Louis put a possessive arm around his waist. "Maybe now you can drop the princess complex the way you drop milkshakes on me and my friends."

He felt guilty for thinking Louis had somehow evolved into a caring person. Harry hated the fact that Diana believed that Louis controlled him.

He scoffed at Louis' pathetic power play. "I can't do this." Harry stepped away. "I'm going this way. Feel free to go home, Louis." Harry had enough of being disappointed by the wicked boy. "And while you're at it, will you take this one home?" Harry motioned to the girl rolling around in the grass with a cheerful look on her face.

"Ugh." Louis sighed at his drunk friend. "C'mon love, you can crash with Lottie." Louis pretended helping his friend was of his own volition and that Harry hadn't put him in his place.

Harry stormed off and to his surprise, Diana followed swiftly. "Hey!" She called out as Harry used all his strength to get away from Louis. "Harry, hang on!"

She caught up to Harry and turned him around abrasively. "Please, talk to me."

Harry was holding back tears as he was forced to face this head-on. "I'm sorry. I don't want to make excuses for him, but he's not always so..." He wanted this to make sense and he wanted to prove she was wrong about him, but what if she wasn't?

"You don't have to explain Harry. I can tell you all really care about him. Even Niall, though he won't admit it." She clutched the sleeve of her dress.

"You can tell all that?" Harry chuckled. There was something about the moonlight hitting her porcelain skin that made things feel a little clearer.

"Yeah, of course. I'm pretty jealous of it if I'm honest." Harry admired her consistent honesty. "I only said what I said because I was actually pretty upset that you left with him." She stared at her boots and crossed her arms with unease.

"I just wanted to help him get his sister home. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to just..." Harry realized what a horrible friend he must have seemed to be.

"Oh." She smiled optimistically. "So, nothing happened between you two?"

Harry realized how innocent his statement sounded. He felt really guilty now that he had to confront what he did. "I-I- it's-" Harry couldn't find the right words.

"Oh." She shook her head knowingly.

"I really like you. I don't even know why..." He searched her disappointed eyes. "Louis and I are done. It was nothing, really just-" Harry wanted to sound convincing, and not just for Diana. If he could make her believe it maybe he would too.

"I think that you two have a lot to figure out. It's not easy for me to say this, but maybe you should give him another chance. You're clearly not over him and at the very least you really need to face these feelings or you're never going to be able to really give your heart to someone else. I really like you too, but nobody wants to be a second choice." Harry could see the light in her eyes dim.

He felt cold as her words hit him like a gust of strong wind. She was right, and that was the worst part of this. She was such an amazing person and he wished he was deserving of her. "I'm so sorry." He twiddled his thumbs. "I-I don't want to feel this way about him." His voice cracked ever-so-slightly as he confessed his broken heart.

"But you can't pretend you don't." She put a comforting hand on his arm and that was enough.

How was she so understanding after the way Harry had treated her? Harry shook his head in agreement. "Thank you."

***
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Don't forget to hit that vote button and leave me a comment before you go!

Love you lots!