True Colors

Harry had a lot to think about over the weekend. Being with Louis just felt so right in the moment, but then he just had to be so...Louis.

He hadn't been able to get in touch with Niall since the party. Harry knew something was wrong when Zayn called him to tell him Louis found him in the treehouse that night. He's had a gut feeling about it ever since, but Niall refused to talk to anyone since that night.

"Lottie said the cast list would be up tomorrow." Olivia made conversation after a notable silence.

Harry realized how he had gotten lost in his thought. He drew his attention back to the girl painting his nails with a firm focus. "That's great. I'm sure you got the part." He encouraged her.

"Yeah." She wasn't humble about it. "I'm just worried about the rest of the cast. I can't be seen in an amateur production." Olivia kidded.

"Yeah, over Lottie's dead body." Harry joked back.

"I really hope Diana gets the part. I'd feel much better sharing the stage with her than some of those other talentless wannabe's." Olivia was projecting.

"Hey! Be nice." He booped her nose like a dog because he knew she hated it. She immediately pulled his hand back to keep working.

"I really hope Niall got the part too." The concern on her face was off-putting to Harry. "I don't know if I could get through it without him."

"I'm sure he will," Harry reassured her.

"Has he texted you back yet?" She didn't look up at him as if her eyes would reveal how she was really feeling.

"No. He's probably just recovering from the hangover that comes with being seventeen." Harry brushed the matter off even though he was just as concerned.

"This is the longest we've gone without talking. He always answers." Olivia twisted the cap back on the bottle and put the color back in her large container of polishes.

"I'll get to the bottom of it. I promise." Harry cautiously squeezed her hand. "Believe me, I could use Niall myself right about now."

The two of them were sat on her carpet next to her bed. She leaned back against the boards of her bed and crossed both her arms. "Let me guess; Louis?"

Harry blew on his nails so he didn't have to look the girl in her eyes. "Maybe."

"I mean, I sort of wondered what was going on between you two since the party." She was candid.

"I'm trying my best to remember why we were so wrong for each other. That's usually a bit easier with Niall around." Harry rolled his eyes at their friend.

"I'm not going to lie, Louis is definitely rough around the edges, but you like him. The heart wants what it wants." Her take on it made it seem so obvious to Harry but he couldn't pretend it was that simple.

"It's not that easy," Harry admitted.

"Well, it might be if you'd just give me an honest answer about why you two broke up. I mean come on, H. What did he do that was so terrible?" She never pressed him on the issue before. She always respected his sensitivity on the matter.

Harry had been so used to deflecting that this confrontation caught him off guard.

Harry didn't have to say anything. All he could do was fiddle with his rings as he devised a plan to deflect from his guilty truth.

"He didn't. Are you serious?"

"I didn't even say anything Liv." Harry looked out the window as anger started to boil. How could she tell just by his face?

"With who?" She pushed.

"It doesn't matter who!" Harry snapped. "It's in the past. I forgave him. We moved on."

"That is so fucked, Harry. How could you not tell us?" She wasn't gentle with him as she stood up on her knees.

"How are you mad at me right now? This had nothing to do with you!" Her reaction was totally out of line.

"You let him get away with it! We've all been hanging around as if this was some stupid lover's quarrel. I would have stuck up for you. I would have-"

"You would have never forgiven him!" Harry cut her off. "I didn't want to put you all through that. He's a good person. He just has his moments. I wanted people to see him for who he really is."

Olivia wasn't buying it. "Gee, Harry, you ever think that if you have to convince people how good of a person someone is that they may not be that good of a person?" She talked down to him and Harry could feel his throat getting tighter. He was finding it harder to breathe.

"How can you say that about him? He's your friend too!" This was exactly what Harry was afraid of.

"He also made your friends and his own sister feel like shit for wanting to be apart of the musical after we showed up for every single one of his practices, constantly rags on your best friend, and now surprise surprise cheated on you after pretending to all your friends that he was the perfect boyfriend. I don't know Harry, I'm starting to forget why we have anything to do with him." Her words were cold and sharp to Harry.

The worst part was that everything she said about him was true. It didn't feel that way though, in his heart he knew Louis cared. He knew he had good in his heart. He desperately wanted his friends to see it so he didn't have to feel so bad about seeing it himself.

Olivia took a deep breath and pursed her lips. "I'm sorry. I've known Louis since I was a kid. Of course, I know he can be a good friend when he wants to be. I just hate that he did this to you and I couldn't be there to help you." She lowered her voice, which made Harry feel a little safer.

"You were. You just didn't know it." He understood how seriously Olivia takes her job as a best friend and he didn't want her to think this had anything to do with her. "I didn't tell anyone because I don't want you guys to see him for what happened that one night. I didn't want things to change. You know?"

She bit the inside of her cheek. "Yeah. I get it." He knew he could trust her with the secret now.

"You got the remover?" He chuckled as he admired his crimson-colored nails.

"Already?" She whined.

"My dad's going to be home tomorrow." He clarified.

She scoffed before pulling her phone out to snap a pic of her hard work. "No fair." She pouted as she grabbed the cotton swabs.

"Thank you, Liv. They're beautiful. I needed this today."

"Aw, stop being sappy." She kicked him. "You know I'd do anything for you."

Harry smiled at the blue-eyed girl as she carefully removed the paint on all of his fingers. "Me too."

***
Secrets are out. I smell trouble.

Don't forget to hit that vote button and leave me a comment with all your favorite moments or crazy ideas!

As always, feel free to share this story on your profile or with friends. You can also tag them in the comments if you think they'd enjoy this story!

Thank you so much for 1K reads so far!

Love you lots!